Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biracialfamily91

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2015
Queens, NY
My husband and I don’t upgrade our Apple Watches often. We had the S3 since launch day but now we’re looking to upgrade, especially since its not getting anymore updates.

Were just not sure what to upgrade to. What kind of advantages does the Series 6 have over the SE?

kanichol

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2021
Main difference between the two in my opinion is the always on screen of the 6 and the blood oxygen and ECG sensors. When I was deciding between the two I really liked having the always on screen. When I had the series 3 (that fell in a lake, oops) the screen sometimes didn't like to come on for me until I made more dramatic arm motions to get it on. That bugged me, so the always on display was the big deciding factor for me. The 6 does have a faster processor, but I'm not sure how much a difference that is real-world wise. If you're okay with not having those things then the SE is a cheaper option.

Reactions: biracialfamily91

biracialfamily91

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2015
Queens, NY
Main difference between the two in my opinion is the always on screen of the 6 and the blood oxygen and ECG sensors. When I was deciding between the two I really liked having the always on screen. When I had the series 3 (that fell in a lake, oops) the screen sometimes didn't like to come on for me until I made more dramatic arm motions to get it on. That bugged me, so the always on display was the big deciding factor for me. The 6 does have a faster processor, but I'm not sure how much a difference that is real-world wise. If you're okay with not having those things then the SE is a cheaper option.
Okay, thank you. I think I’m swaying towards the Series 6 for the AOD and ECG sensors.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Series 3 stainless steel silver 44mm user here. Wanted to upgrade to take advantage of medication tracking, as well as the series 3 falling out of support as of watchOS 9. Also found app starting/switching to be slow relative to my wife’s SE when we’re out walking.

Wanting another stainless steel body but not wanting to pay £699 (maybe more with the Watch 8 in a few months time), Amazon were doing an excellent price on the Series 6 SS.

Were it not for wanting stainless steel, I’d have happily gone for an SE - not particularly bothered about an always on display etc. The SE has more than proven itself for my wife, who updated from a non LTE series 3 that kept having to be set up from new whenever a software update came out due to the 8GB space constraint.

If you can get a series 6 for more or less the same price as the SE, get the 6. Otherwise the SE is no slouch.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Okay, thank you. I think I’m swaying towards the Series 6 for the AOD and ECG sensors.

I have the SE. it was my first Apple Watch, and I’m still a few years (but not enough) from 50 so I went with the SE over the 6. But now I am more familiar with the watch and it’s capabilities, and even closer to 50, I’d get the S6 over the SE.

Of course, there’s always something new coming down the pipe. Likely September we’ll see a new S8 and possibly a new SE and the rugged variants. For that reason I would be patient and wait for a good deal on the S6, or even wait for the S8 and possible SE2 and see how they look.

Very happy with the SE all the same.

biracialfamily91

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2015
Queens, NY
I have the SE. it was my first Apple Watch, and I’m still a few years (but not enough) from 50 so I went with the SE over the 6. But now I am more familiar with the watch and it’s capabilities, and even closer to 50, I’d get the S6 over the SE.

Of course, there’s always something new coming down the pipe. Likely September we’ll see a new S8 and possibly a new SE and the rugged variants. For that reason I would be patient and wait for a good deal on the S6, or even wait for the S8 and possible SE2 and see how they look.

Very happy with the SE all the same.
Will definitely wait until September to upgrade. Hopefully I find the S6 at a cheaper price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.