Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Diatribe said:
alt + apple + backspace deletes songs out of playlists from the library.

This could get bad for my songs. I'm gonna check if this works in iPhoto right................... no not now..................... yea, NOW.

Cool. It works. Now I can tell my dad to stop whining. :)

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Diatribe said:
I have another request that I felt the need for the last couple of days. I want to know in which playlists a certain song is, I want it to, when I search for a song, highlight the playlists it is in.
And the other thing is that when I want to delete a song that is in a playlist it should give me an additional warning that this song is in a playlist. Sometimes I delete a copy of a song when I reripped it and I forget that it is in a playlist and when I delete the copy that is in the playlist the song in the playlist is gone too.

Right-clicking(control clicking) a song will bring up a context menu which contains a submenu of the playlists a song is found in.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Kyle? said:
You can do this using an alias in finder. Just replace everybodys library file (home:music:iTunes:iTunes 4 Music Library(on a pc right now, can't check to verify)) with an alias to a shared library file. I have a system running like this right now. Depending on how you set your preferences, you can even lock out certain users from adding and deleting files in that library.

I've tried the aliasing, but iTunes didn't want to use the alias.. it said that it coudn't find a vaid libraryfile..
What version of iTunes did you use?

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
wrldwzrd89 said:
I'd like to be able to group several related playlists into one icon; the group members would be revealed with one of those disclosure triangles. I'd also like nested groups to be possible. Here's my reason for this request: My music library contains nothing but smart playlists, divided into groups like Bit Rate, Sample Rate, Format, Time, and Source. If I could group the related Smart Playlists together, I wouldn't have to scroll quite so much.

I believe I read on some website, not sure which one right now, that they said this was a high possibility according to their sources that this will be a feature of iTunes 5.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
cluthz said:
I've tried the aliasing, but iTunes didn't want to use the alias.. it said that it coudn't find a vaid libraryfile..
What version of iTunes did you use?

The version of iTunes shouldn't make a difference.

Here's what you want to do.
1. Start with an already created library, preferably using the account of whoever has the larger selection.
2. Go to ~/Music/iTunes and select all the files and folders.
3. Create aliases for all files and folders by right-clicking and choosing Make Alias.
4. Drag the originals to a shared location, accessible to all users. You may have to modify the permissions settings to ensure all user accounts will be able to resolve the aliases to the shared locations.
5. Rename the aliases to the original name (remove the ' alias' ending on the file name)
6. Copy alias files to all users accounts.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
It was the permissions which wasn't right.
(the files had right permissions, but the ~/Music folder had read only..

Mustafa

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Shenfield, Essex, UK
Converting files to Audble format

Kyle? said:
I believe macworld had an article about converting your music to the audible format to enable bookmarking of tunes.

I need this! Anybody remember how to do this? Specifically I have AIFF files of programmes I've recorded from the radio which I want to transfer to my wife's iPod, but as they're long, she will want to be able to bookmark them.

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
enclave said:
iMovie: Remove the stupid 2gb limit for single movie files. It's just lame.

This may be external to iMovie, as iMovie relies heavily on Quicktime and the parts of Quicktime it may be using may not be savvy to files larger than 2GB. I think the 2GB limit has been at least partially addressed within Quicktime but I may be mistaken.

shane1

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2004
iPod Sharing!

I've got an ibook in my living room, and a PC upstairs. I don't have the space to keep my music library on my ibook, so I keep it on the 'pod, and plug it in when I want to listen to it through itunes. But if I'm upstairs, playing poker on my PC, the ipod library isn't shared! So I'm stuck either buying a cable or a card for my PC to be able to hook it up there (boo!), or bring my ipod and headphones, or another set of speakers (boo again!).

If there's some hack or utility to be able to do this, PLEASE let me know :). Or make it happen for itunes 4.8.

And don't get me started on the hoops you have to jump through to copy music off your ipod. Since I don't keep my music library on my laptop, the last time my ipod music database took a dump on itself, I had to copy the music off and re-import it so the database would rebuild. Go f%^ yourself RIAA, if that isn't legit, I don't know what is.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i would like collapsable playlists. that way i could sorta archive some and not have them viewable all the time.

i'm a geek so more stats would be cool... like listening trend graphs or in the browse window a number by the album and artist that shows total playcounts... things like that

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
howard said:
i would like collapsable playlists. that way i could sorta archive some and not have them viewable all the time.

i'm a geek so more stats would be cool... like listening trend graphs or in the browse window a number by the album and artist that shows total playcounts... things like that
That's the same thing I requested (minus the stats), in a different sort of way. Anyway, did you read the earlier post about these things making it into iTunes 5? If that's true, both of our wishes will be granted! I'm a statistics person too - more stats would be nice.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Mustafa said:
I need this! Anybody remember how to do this? Specifically I have AIFF files of programmes I've recorded from the radio which I want to transfer to my wife's iPod, but as they're long, she will want to be able to bookmark them.

I couldn't find it in my macworld's, but I checked online and found a site that gave instructions for doing this (google bookmark m4a to find such sites). Basically convert the file to aac (.m4a) then change the extension to .m4b (book) and reimport into itunes. I haven't really tried working with it yet, so report back if you get it to work.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
chameeeleon said:
Anybody interested in an iTunes 5 mockup contest?

i always enjoy mockups, however i don't really want itunes' look to change that much

Winston Smith

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2003
Oceania
I want to be able to set the equalizer to automatically match the genre.
So if I'm listening to an R&B track the equalizer will be R&B.
You don't need many tracks before setting the eq becomes a real (but valuable) chore.

I keep my library under Mac HD/Library/Music/iTunes that way all users have access. However whenever a song is added it has to be manually added in the other users libraries. Any easy workarounds?

It irritates the hell out of me that we have to run other apps (3 in my case but synergy is the daddy) to get Album art.
Amazon are incredibally accomodating frankly with the hits they allow on their servers with no cash gain for them. Somehow I doubt (sadly) that Apple will allow the same sort of access to the data within the iTunes music store but I think they should.
Having just spent the best part of 3 days getting Art for all my tracks an automatic dearch and load within iTunes would a huge addition.
(I need all the art for the impending arrival of an iPod photo)

Many great ideas in the thread but its clear an 'Apple' solution is needed for sharing.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Yet nobody has mentioned tabs, itunes is a damn browser without tabs!

Surfing in the store is so linear these days.

Would be nice to play songs from an album in one go rather than go through clicking them all every 30 seconds, yes there is an applescript but I don't use them.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
To share your songs on a network... you need two computers here, one a server and one the client. The server holds ALL music. The server must always be running, too. So, here goes.
On the server:
1. In the Shared (Macintosh HD->Users->Shared) folder, make a folder named "Network iTunes Library"
2. Tell iTunes that that is your new library folder. Preferences, under the Advanced tab.
3. If you need to, move your music across to the new Library. Make sure that you have placed the original songs in the library, and not aliases. This means that you need to check the "Copy Music into iTunes Library" check under the Advanced tab in Preferences. After all your music is in the Library, go on to the client section.

Once you have the server running with all your music, do this on the client:

1. Open iTunes.
2. Go to Preferences, then Advanced
3. Make sure the "Copy Music into iTunes library" checkbox is checked.
4. Choose a new default location for the iTunes library. When that little window pops up, navigate to your Network. Choose the server, and connect to it. You can mount a network share through an "Open..." dialog box or you can connect to the server in the Finder and then just follow that network share in the Open dialog box. You will need to mount the "Macintosh HD" network share. And that requires a valid password to the server. Assuming you do... open the Shared folder on the server and then select the "Network iTunes Library" folder.
5. You should be good to go!

[EDIT] Read the rest of the the thread to see what some people thing is wrong... how dare they....;) It might be worth your time to do so, to save many hours of work for naught.
I have not actually tried doing the above, but I think it would work. You just need to repeat the client instructions for each client. If you have a computer that is always on and not asleep, use that computer as the server. Or, if you have a spare Xserve laying around the house like 5300cs does you can use that...

AdamZ

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
PARTY SHUFFLE PREFERENCES

I want the ability to hide the Preferences for Party Shuffle. It wastes to much space, and I am no idiot. Don't beed to have it up all the time!

Attachments

• bnjmhm.jpg
    bnjmhm.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 104

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Winston Smith said:
I want to be able to set the equalizer to automatically match the genre.
So if I'm listening to an R&B track the equalizer will be R&B.
You don't need many tracks before setting the eq becomes a real (but valuable) chore.

Select the songs/genres you want to have an eq for, hit apple+i for info and select the eq preset you want. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
How about a one-click way to play songs within a particular genre, say "jazz", without having to use the keyboard? I'm constantly ripping CDs, so it's inconvenient to have to put each genre in its own playlist.

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
Winston Smith said:
I keep my library under Mac HD/Library/Music/iTunes that way all users have access. However whenever a song is added it has to be manually added in the other users libraries. Any easy workarounds?

Read the thread. I already posted a detailed description of how to do this.

Mechcozomo, I do not think he was looking for network sharing, just for users on one machine. And you missed the crucial part that is causing his problems. Each user has a library file apart from the library. The library file is an index to the library. The library file must be shared between users as well, otherwise the songs added by one user will be effectively invisible to another user. I outlined the process for sharing the library and the library index earlier in the thread. And I have done it before, so I know it works.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Kyle? said:
Read the thread. I already posted a detailed description of how to do this.

Mechcozomo, I do not think he was looking for network sharing, just for users on one machine. And you missed the crucial part that is causing his problems. Each user has a library file apart from the library. The library file is an index to the library. The library file must be shared between users as well, otherwise the songs added by one user will be effectively invisible to another user. I outlined the process for sharing the library and the library index earlier in the thread. And I have done it before, so I know it works.

I read an article in a MacAddict, and I thought I outlined it there... maybe you just need to create an alias or symbolic link to the file on the server? Would that work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.