Series: App improvement discussion - App: Safari

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
4,226
21
Back in the motherland
Been a little busy the last couple of weeks, but here is the next installment.

I don't have a lot of gripes with Safari but I am sure some of you do.
Here are mine:

- instant switching of tabs without having to wait
- remove delay before loading as a factory setting(this shouldn't be st up this way anyway)
- user definable search(other options than Google)

As always: Send Apple feedback!
 

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
595
0
Near London
tab switching using the keyboard is another thing i would LOVE to see in the new release, quite frustrating at times using the mouse
 

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
13,591
141
Bergen, Norway
Fredstar said:
tab switching using the keyboard is another thing i would LOVE to see in the new release, quite frustrating at times using the mouse
What? Doesn't cmd-shift-leftarrow/rightarrow work for you. I'm using firefox now, and there I really miss this feature.
 

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
595
0
Near London
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
What? Doesn't cmd-shift-leftarrow/rightarrow work for you. I'm using firefox now, and there I really miss this feature.
Thanks mate!!
Never knew that existed (only been OSX Panther owner for a few months), and just sent an e-mail (along with the above) to Apple to improve Safari with. Opps :p.
 

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
4,265
76
Fredstar said:
Thanks mate!!
Never knew that existed (only been OSX Panther owner for a few months), and just sent an e-mail (along with the above) to Apple to improve Safari with. Opps :p.
I didn't know it existed either. Still, I do hate having to use two modifier keys
 

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
1,701
0
Nottingham
Fix secure proxying, then perhaps I'll take it seriously.

I've not used Safari for a long, long time because of this bug, so can't really comment on anything else!
 

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
389
0
I can't believe I missed this one.
1. Ability to search from more than just the Google bar, and to set hotkeys for switching. For example, Cmd-Shift-I could switch it to the IMDB, and Cmd-Shift-A to Amazon, and so on.
2. Ability to search history and bookmarks (and I'm talking a search bar, not cmd-f)
3. Use cmd-> and cmd-< to change tabs, not cmd-shift->. It might just be (again) because I'm so used to the Adium way, but when cmd-> doesn't seem to do anything, why make it more complicated than it has to be?
3. Ability to drag tabs around so that they can be reordered, or dragged out of the window into their own window, like in Adium.
4. irc support
5. Smart bookmarks collections for things like websites visited on the 28th, websites visited most often, etc.
6. The ability to right-click on images and set them as the desktop background - as a past Windows user, this just seems so much faster than the current drag to desktop, open system prefs, drag image in.
7. Some way to trick Launch into letting Safari users watch it's videos (not Safari's fault, I know)
Other than that, I'm very happy with Safari!
 

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
2,367
0
New York
1-re-order tabs
2-other choices for the search
3-make launch work please!

that's about it for now. i'm just glad no one's said karaoke mode yet :p
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
What? Doesn't cmd-shift-leftarrow/rightarrow work for you. I'm using firefox now, and there I really miss this feature.
Sorry to go off-topic for a moment, but there are keyboard shortcuts in FF for this; they're just different than in other apps. The keyboard shortcuts in FF for changing tabs are Ctrl+Pg-Up/Dwn -- on the laptops, this becomes Fn+Ctrl+Up/Dwn arrows. And before anyone starts in on me again, this is what the keys say on my iBook...if these names aren't Mac-appropriate please forgive me. ;):p

Back on-topic,

- I really like how you can move tabs around on FF too....
- Ditto the search bar having more options -- also, I wish you could delete the ones you don't want or re-order in FF, so Safari should let you do that too.
- I wish PithHelmet had the ring-around-the-iFrame/RealMedia feature that AdBlock has, but that's neither here nor there.
- Incorporate some of the TabBrowser Extensions features
- Find some solution to make streamed media in the web page actually work right, consistently, on the first try!!!

Things I still really like about Safari already:
- The fact that you can quickly turn off ad and pop-up blocking from the Safari menu or keyboard
- Hmmm, there are more....
 

j_appel

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2004
45
0
Illinois
Chip NoVaMac said:
I hate to say it, but ActiveX support. Many business sites use ActiveX. I can not access certain eTearsheet sites because of this problem.
Having ActiveX support would be very nice.
 

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2002
301
0
MIAMI.FL.USA
chameeeleon said:
5. Smart bookmarks collections for things like websites visited on the 28th, websites visited most often, etc.

Here, Here! I just thought of this feature and did a search to revive the topic again. I think Smart Bookmarks would be a great addition to Safari.
 

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
2,265
0
-more control over bookmark movement ala FireFox
-movable tabs ala FireFox's "MiniT" plugin
-shop with tabbed browsing enabled
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
j_appel said:
Having ActiveX support would be very nice.
Ugh! Oh, no it wouldn't! As nice as that would be for compatibility, ActiveX is a huge part of the reason why MSIE is so vulnerable to attacks, adware, spyware, malware.... No thank you!
 

dejo

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
15,725
447
The Centennial State
Chip NoVaMac said:
I hate to say it, but ActiveX support. Many business sites use ActiveX. I can not access certain eTearsheet sites because of this problem.
Doesn't IE:Mac support ActiveX? If so, use that. If not, take the issue up with Microsoft. It's their responsibility to update/maintain their proprietary extensions to standards-based technology.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,641
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
chameeeleon said:
3. Use cmd-> and cmd-< to change tabs, not cmd-shift->. It might just be (again) because I'm so used to the Adium way, but when cmd-> doesn't seem to do anything, why make it more complicated than it has to be?
Since this thread is back (to ditto Mitthrawnuruodo :) ), I don't know why I didn't point this out the first time, but since Safari is a Cocoa application, you can change the keyboard shortcuts for this quite easily using System Preferences. :)

I have been very pleasantly surprised with Safari 2. There's really only one thing now on my list that I want to see: now then, the other thing I don't know why I didn't mention:

- I really, really wish Safari would allow for the option of treating the insert caret in a textbox in the same way as in other browsers, so things like the Enhanced Mode of the text editor for this forum would work properly!!!! :(

Ahem.
 

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
1,954
0
District of Columbia
Diatribe said:
Been a little busy the last couple of weeks, but here is the next installment.

I don't have a lot of gripes with Safari but I am sure some of you do.
Here are mine:

- instant switching of tabs without having to wait
- remove delay before loading as a factory setting(this shouldn't be st up this way anyway)
- user definable search(other options than Google)

As always: Send Apple feedback!
The worst is that Safari doesn't render PDFs in hidden tab until you click on the tab...so you have to wait 5 seconds for it to load, even though it could have done that while you were reading another tab.
 

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
1,954
0
District of Columbia
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Since this thread is back...
Just install AcidSearch... :)
WOW. Downloaded and installed as soon as I saw this. What a great product. Makes it real similar to firefox's -- which I always loved -- plus its easy to edit the search engine list to include custom made ones (just a few text fields to fill out). Also the "find as you type" feature is killer. I used it to find the right post in this thread to respond to. Much faster than cmd-f.
 

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
2,217
0
Virginia Beach, VA
I wish you could click once in the address bar and have the whole address highlighted so you could start typing. Every other browser I know of does this.

This is really confusing for my windows friends who try to use my computer.
 

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
4,226
21
Back in the motherland
Heb1228 said:
I wish you could click once in the address bar and have the whole address highlighted so you could start typing. Every other browser I know of does this.

This is really confusing for my windows friends who try to use my computer.
Just click on the icon beside the address.