Series One instead of the new model?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by WigWag Workshop, Sep 9, 2016.

1. WigWag Workshop macrumors 6502

WigWag Workshop

I don't have an Apple Watch yet, has I was waiting to see what the 2nd generation had to offer. Since I don't really need GPS or waterproof, do you think I should just get Series One?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I too am considering the series 1 over the series 2. I originally was waiting for the Second Apple Watch, but it appears that the first Apple Watch did not have a bunch of problems. By the time I settled on getting an Apple Watch, it was getting real close to win the new one would come out. I don't feel like the new features of the S2 are necessary to me. I'm tired of my Fitbit not charging right. Also, people say they have swam with their S1 without issue.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Series 1 is a new model. It's not the same as original AW.

4. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Yes. Crazy good deal with the new CPU/GPU - if you don't need GPS, and if you don't swim.

5. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I am not considering it. The extras the series 2 introduced help with the performance quite a bit. Especially because a lot of stuff is not really super fast, but actually pre-loaded. I rather get the most out of that little bugger, than end up next year with an even more slugging watch.

To be honest, I kinda expected the 2nd gen to be a bit more impressive, but i guess we can at least leave the phone at home for most things now.

6. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Series 2 has no extra power.

7. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

After I posted that, the thread had new posts, mentioning series 1.. I completely forgot about series 1 over the original watch! I feel like a dork now. MAH BAD

8. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Np - Apple should be shot for calling the new watch series 1 and 2

9. StevefromOz macrumors newbie

StevefromOz

Series 1 for me. I don't Run and don't swim so the only thing I will get for $130au is a brighter screen. Will save the bucks for a nice dinner or a couple of other bands.

10. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I wouldn't go that far :) What they SHOULD have done is at least mention they discontinued the gold series. I just saved up my 15,000 euro... just kidding, I'd never pay that for a watch :D

11. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

I pre-ordered a series 1. I have almost no need for the GPS, and the screen on "series 0" has always been plenty bright for me.

I would have ordered series 2 still, if not for the extra bloat caused by the GPS that I don't even need. "series 0" is already too big IMHO, now they are bloating it more.. wrong direction Apple, get with the program.

12. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

13. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Isn't series 1 and 2 exactly the same size?

15. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Don't think so - think gps adds the thickness to series 2.

16. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

17. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

It was reported the casing difference is literally 1 Millimeter thicker due to the larger battery to support the S2 Chip/GPS, which equals out to be the same battery life as Gen 1, which the thickness would be barely noticeable to the user.

18. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Added thickness is not related to S2 chip because series one has same chip and same size as original Apple Watch.

19. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Lots of speculation as to why the size is increased, but I'd guess the battery is the same size on both, and the extra room is simply for the GPS chip (+ its antenna maybe). We'll know for sure in a week after tear-down.

20. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I didn't realize battery size hasn't been confirmed.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

My post was not as clear as it should have been. The larger battery increased the casing thickness by one millimeter in order to support required power for the S2 Chip/GPS; thus, allowing the thickness to increase subtly, where it would be almost undetected by first sight.

22. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Makes sense. Thanks.

23. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

It hasn't been confirmed specially what size it is, but Macrumors posted an article with a company using a micrometer measuring the over all depth of the battery, confirming it is larger by scale, to what variant? We don't know as of yet.

24. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

The original is serie 0.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I remember reading that. For some reason I have memory of the series one AND 2 being thstc1mm thicker than the original AW. Must have some signals crossed.