Serious; Are ALL iPhone 6 & 6S & 7 Unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HappyDude20, Oct 13, 2016.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

hi. so my folks have T-Mobile and AT&T, respectively and I'm wondering if I buy them an iPhone 6 if it would just automagically work after popping in their SIM card?

And my grandma has boost mobile I think so I'm wondering if I got her an iPhone 6 as well
    If it would work there too or what kind of limitations and hurdles I've have to overcome.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, not all iPhones are unlocked.
    If you buy the unlocked versions for full price at the Apple Store then those iPhones will be unlocked.

3. JulesJam, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016

JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

For TMobile, you could buy the TMobile, Verizon or an unlocked iP6 and it would work on all TMobile's bands except Band 12 (no iPhone 6 or 6+ works on Band 12). For AT&T, you could buy the AT&T, Verizon or an unlocked iP6 and it would work on all AT&T bands except Band 30 (no iPhone 6 or 6+ works on Band 30)

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp705?locale=en_US

If you want Band 12, you have to get an iPhone 6s or 6s+ - all 6s/6s+ models have it so the TMobile, Verizon or unlocked iP6s/6s+ would work. If you want Band 30, only the AT&T iP6s/6s+ and the SIM free iP6s/6s+ have it.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/specs/

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Some of them will automagically unlock when you payoff the amount you owe and satisfy the requirements of the carrier.

For instance, if you buy from Sprint, pay it off and have it active for 50 days Sprint will DSU the device automatically.

But otherwise, as Applejuiced mentioned.

If you buy a Sprint iPhone your chances will probably be better.

Boost is an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) that uses Sprint's network. Sprint also owns Boost. So, essentially Boost is Sprint.

However, Boost and Sprint's back end systems don't talk well with each other so getting even a Sprint phone on Boost's network is likely to be a hassle.

5. JulesJam, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016

JulesJam Suspended

JulesJam

For Boost, only the Sprint and the SIM free iP6 models have Sprint's Spark Band 41. So you would need an unlocked Sprint or a SIM free iP6 to work well on Boost. If you get the Sprint model, it must pass Sprint's FED to work on Boost, which if it is unlocked it will.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2016 ---
    As long as the Sprint iP6 passes the FED it should work fine on Boost.