Serious battery problems since 10.5.5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by damienvfx, Sep 17, 2008.

1. damienvfx macrumors regular

damienvfx

Has anyone else noticed a serious battery performance issue since updating to 10.5.5? Both of my batteries went from about 3 hours on a full charge to about 50 minutes.

What happened!?!?:mad:

2. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

Could be a coincidence and you just need to calibrate your battery... a very unlikely coincidence. Try calibrating the battery, if you don't know how, it's very simple. Charge your battery up to 100 % and drain it down until it goes into safe sleep (meaning you can't wake it up until it's plugged in). Plug it in and let it charge. I've head it's better to use it while it's charging the second time around... I typically don't have time to sit around and wait lol :p

3. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

My battery is working fine after the upgrade. :)

4. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Try resetting the PMU as well: restart your mac and hold down Cmd+Opt+P+R at the chime, keep holding them down until you hear the chime again.

The above post about calibrating your battery should be done as well :)

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

It's also possible that the Energy Saver preferences might have changed. Check those, too.

6. Icewind macrumors regular

Icewind

That's a drastic reduction in battery life! I only installed 10.5.5 last night, so haven't really had a chance to test the longevity of the battery. I'll make sure I test this at the weekend and see how it goes.

This also worries me a bit, as I was having the graphics issues with my MBP (Safari scroilling tearing up and flashing white boxes on videos etc). I read in another thread that this issue wasn't evident when the MBP was running on A/C power, therefore it may have been something related to the amount of juice that gets pumped through to the Graphics chip and I have confirmed that this is the case for my MBP at least. The worrying thought is maybe the "fix" that Apple have applied for this issue is simply a cosmetic tweak to the power management routines and just pumps more juice to the graphics chip when running off the battery, hence faster draining!

This could mean that there is still an underlying issue with the graphics chip and/or logic board and (knowing my luck) the logic board will fail 1 month outside of warranty :eek:

7. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

No problems on MBP after updating to 10.5.5. So it should / could be something else in your case. And with such a dramatic decline, I'm afraid, battery calibration won't be an answer. But I'd still do that... Don't forget to keep your machine in sleep or turned-off for 5+ hours after the safe shut-down.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

BTW, if this issue was a software bug related to the update, this forum would be full of similar complaints.

Good luck!
    sash

8. boardopboy macrumors member

Not just you.

Happens to me too. After the 10.5.5 update.

Same issues. MBP Core Duo.

Something changed something in the 10.5.5 update.

Something is a miss!

And it's not my battery, as I calibrate it about every 6 weeks!

9. gorenut macrumors member

I had the same problem.. called in Apple Care.. they arranged it for me so I could just pick up a new battery from the nearest Apple Store. Haven't had any problems since.