SERIOUS BUG - cannot log in Leopard after upgrading to 10.5.7!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fattat, Aug 1, 2009.

1. fattat macrumors newbie

Hi all, I upgraded my Macbook Pro to 10.5.7 via Software Update, and after that I cannot log in anymore! The system boots fine, I land on the log in screen. After entering the password, it seems to be logging in, I can see the dashboard and everything, and then it automatically logs out and jumps back to the log in screen! :eek::eek::eek:

I searched on Apple Support and found this -> http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1543?viewlocale=en_US, changing the password in single user mode doesn't work either! :mad:

Hope you guys know what's going on and give me a hand! I tried to contact Apple Support but they said my AppleCare is expired and won't help!

Thanks guy!

:confused::confused::confused:

2. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

I would try re-installing leopard, and update back.
    i don't know what happened, but that has never happened to me, maybe you're doing expose corners *Hotspots*?

i have never read of problems similar to this, so try re-installing leopard bro!

3. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

You could do an Archive and Install to make the process easier on yourself.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I'm pretty sure you can make a case for a support exception, especially since the issue happened due to a software update. Before contacting them again to plead your case or reinstalling as suggested by the previous posters, try a safe boot which will disable the login and startup items, one of which may be causing the issue. If you can successfully login, take a look at the login items for your user account from Accounts preferences, and whatever you have installed in /Library/StartupItems. Anything suspicious you can either remove from the list of login items or pull out to your Desktop. Try restarting normally and see what happens or if it still has trouble logging in.

5. fattat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everybody for the replies and suggestions! The problem is I don't have the installation disk with me. Do you think any copy of Leopard will work? I will get one from my friend.

Let me try to re-install it and see if it will work. I will let you know.

Meanwhile, if you happen to have this problem before and know how to solve it without a reinstallation, please help me out! :confused:

Thanks again!

6. fattat thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The Apple discussion boards are pretty much the same as Mac Rumors in regards to support - it's just normal people trying to help others, there's not actually any Apple staff that browse it looking for feedback and to help out.