Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cflorio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
On HTML Forms with SELECT drop down boxes with the MULTIPLE attribute, the iPhone will select the first item NO MATTER WHAT you do. It will also submit the first item NO MATTER WHAT you do when you submit the form.

You can test this behavior with some sample HTML like so:

<HTML>
<BODY>
<FORM>
<SELECT MULTIPLE NAME="test">
<OPTION VALUE=1>1</OPTION>
<OPTION VALUE=2 SELECTED>2</OPTION>
<OPTION VALUE=3>3</OPTION>
</SELECT>

</FORM>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Notice that the 2nd option is in the SELECTED state in this HTML code. Well when pulling this up on the iPhone, both the first and second are. EVEN IF you unselect the first option, when submitting the form, the first option IS SUBMITTED! This is a VERY SERIOUS BUG!!!!!!

Apr 10, 2007
idk maybe your phone is messed up but that feature works just fine on my iPhone, I have used it on may sites.

cflorio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Here's an example CGI

http://prayforsalvation.com/cgi-bin/iphonebug.pl

Click here and try for yourself (on the iPhone).

I guess I mis-spoke slightly, what happens is that by default, the first value is ALWAYS checked. You can actually remove the check and submit the form.

So submit the form with items checked that aren't the first one, then submit again when the form comes back without doing anything to the drop down box.

This is still a very bad bug. If you have a MULTIPLE select on a form and you don't want anything selected but don't go to that drop down box to unselect the first item, then you will inadvertently submit the first item.

ericld

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007

Attachments

• Photo 240.jpg
    Photo 240.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 168

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
That's just improper coding. You made it so that it's possible to select more than one option. You have to check 2 and the uncheck 1, then you can submit 2.

Other forms like the image size selection in Google images, work perfectly fine.

cflorio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
That's just improper coding. You made it so that it's possible to select more than one option. You have to check 2 and the uncheck 1, then you can submit 2.

Other forms like the image size selection in Google images, work perfectly fine.

not at all!
try the example URL. My example let's you select any number of values.
any select box with the multiple attribute has the first item selected by default on iPhone....that's a bug!

cflorio

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007

sorry I just re-read your post.

For sure it isn't improper coding to allow multiple selections!!!!
that's what the multiple attribute is all about

climr

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
I confirm this is a problem. I'm developing an app right now and this is an annoyance. Someone please post if you figure out a workaround.

Brad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.