Serious Concern about Spyware

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by User010110, Dec 31, 2010.

1. User010110 macrumors newbie

I have a co-worker who I have noticed is very manipulative. He bought the same laptop I own (a MacBook Pro), the same car I wanted, is suddenly interested in everything I am interested in, wants to come over to "exchange ideas", takes credit for MY IDEAS at work, etc etc etc. (There's a whole rap sheet lol)

Well when he got his MacBook Pro, he got a discounted copy of iLife (family license up to 5 users) from Best Buy and offered to let me install it since he didn't have anyone else he knew with a Mac. (Oh how nice, right?) So I brought my laptop to work and he handed me the disk and I installed it.

But now, since I am noticing so much dishonesty and manipulative behavior from this person I am wondering if it's possible that there was spyware also installed.

I'm not sure how he could get spyware onto an iLife disk, but I do know his significant other is a computer head and well.... anything is possible.

1. First, how do I check to see if iLife is even installed? I am new to Mac myself and have only had it for about 3 months.
    2. Second, how can I check for outgoing connections on my Mac?
    3. Third, what's the best spyware zapper for Mac?

Thanks for any help. I am about >this< close to just backing up my data and reinstalling from my restore disk to eliminate any suspicions I have.

2. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

1. Do you have iPhoto, iMovie, etc. That's iLife.
    2. TCPBlock
    3. Snow Leopard would have automatically detected the Trojan found in pirated versions of iLife. If it was not pirated then no worries.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

worry when he starts dressing like you ... the iLife is most likely OK :cool:

4. User010110 thread starter macrumors newbie

I already had those things when I bought my Mac. I thought iLife added something new. :confused:

The disk looked legit enough. He had the little iLife box and everything. The disk itself had the iLife graphics on it so I am hoping it was ok. Unless they wiped the disk and put some junk on it that "looked" like it was installing iLife which I wouldn't put it past 'em.

...and thanks for that link! :eek:

5. User010110 thread starter macrumors newbie

:eek:

6. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

iLife install disk would not be modifiable so don't worry about it. Running the disk when those were already installed would not hurt anything.