Serious, do you think Apple will release a car?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by wozmatic, Jun 9, 2016.

Tags:
?

What will Apple do?

1. Release a car and people will LIKE it

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Release a car and people will HATE it

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Not release a car

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. wozmatic macrumors 6502

wozmatic

Do you think they will actually release a car and if so, what year/quarter do you think they will announce?

2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

They'll release one eventually, and the main selling point will be the materials of the seats.

3. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

I don't think they will. I feel like there's just too many hurdles for it to happen.

4. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Make mobile devices, computers, and gadgets is one thing. Are they ready to add a dealership network and whatever else come with it? That's a lot of responsibilities.

5. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I think they will and it'll be the thinnest car ever, with one door, no more needed.

6. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

They can call it the iCycle!

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

A car? Nah... a personal mobility assistant:oops:, yep. I've seen a self balancing 2 wheeled wheelchair (tré cool:cool:). Basically a sit down Segway.:)
    [​IMG]
    If they come out with something like, but enclosed, can go 60mph and street legal, I would be great in a big city. I would get one just to tool around the neighborhood.;)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Tbh, I don't know. On one hand, the car industry is heavily regulated, extremely hard to break into, and margins are not great. Just look at the media darling Tesla. They're garnering a lot of good (and some bad) press, people seem excited about them, but their cars can easily run over 100,000 dollars. Yeah I think they're moving to roll out a cheaper model, but so far they are a luxury brand. To that end, they've yet to get a profit. Then there's the trouble they've had in rolling out to new locations since people are so used to going to a dealership. There are no dealerships, at least in the traditional sense.

I just don't see a market for Apple to produce a car. I think they may be working to include components to integrate into cars, and that's a smarter move. Kind of like John D. Rockefeller. He could have gone drilling for oil like so many other folks, or he could have set up refiners and produce something that both oil speculators needed (a place to refine) and customers (needing oil/gas/etc).

Apple has a lot smarter people then me, so I'm only going on my limited knowledge, but I don't see anyone revolutionizing the auto industry, it may transform, but it won't be revolutionary.

9. wozmatic thread starter macrumors 6502

wozmatic

Maybe they are creating an automated driving car software that retrofits all cars...

10. TylerSzeto macrumors newbie

I think yes Apple will soon launch its own car with some superb features.

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

If Apple were to do it, it just cannot be another so called "green" electric car with gadgets.
    All the (larger) car companies are making them, and I think the competition simply has too much of a head-start.

Maybe Apple can beat "the rest" in the self-driving possibilities, although I doubt that. Here too, many larger car companies have the advantage of playing with that for a few years now. And, Google too.

Maybe Apple is pursuing a low-cost and extremely low-emissions single seater? Trying to "think different" regarding your wheels?

12. Tech198 macrumors G4

dam choices.. :p

.....and cost more than the average smart car would yes.. If they charge allot anyway, why should a car be any different ? Apple people already know that

13. satchmo macrumors 68000

I hope any vehicle Apple makes is not simply a faster (than say a Tesla) electric sports car. The last thing we need is just eye candy that has more horsepower under the hood.

Perhaps it's something a bit more utilitarian. Help solve a real world problem by changing our habits and how we see and use cars. I realize this is a big ask, but why enter into an industry if you're just going to be another player. Besides, isn't this Apple's raison d'être?

14. Tech198 macrumors G4

Actually it *will* solve problems

If it knows a police car has it's sirens on and behind you it will prevent u speeding up by temporary disabling the accelerator. For one thing at least these autonomous cars will give everyone (apart from the driver) more control.

15. afd macrumors 6502a

As someone that likes cars, I hope not. Self driving cars have no interest to me at all.