Serious flaw with Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tech198, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Has anyone noticed this?

If you start installing Lion (also applies to Snow Leopard or Leopard) from bootable disc (USB or optical), without AC plugged in, during the first half of the installer, if the screen goes black (dims), and this preveals over reboot, there is no way to get the Mac "reponsive" again, even if the battery is fully charged.

The symtoms are .... no sleep indicator Led ... black screen.... trackpad button and keyboard is un-responsive (not sure about backlight)

The only way you can tell that its still operational is by the sound of the hard drive.

The above permits even after install, when you first boot to Welcome Screen if left. So you must power off and back on to resolve..

I've been though about 3 MBP's, all having this same issue.

I'm just wondering weather Apple has fixed this with Ivy Bridge. As its clearly a Mac issue.

2. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm wondering exactly why you would want to install an operating system without outlet power.

Maybe this isn't really a flaw?

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Just because i had my battery fully charged.... This was the only reason.

The battery indicator on the Mac ligt up all lights. so its not a case of batter running down.

Its not a case of it being required.... as Apple wanted to, they could have *prevented* the Install until AC was applied...

Its just i came across this when installing from fully charged battery

4. Heateris macrumors member

Sounds like your trying to create a problem. Dosn't the computer ask you to plug in the charger before a update.

I say operator error.

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I've done a restore of lion with full battery and not plugged in, never had the issues you mentioned above.

6. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

I've seen this too. However, as others have mentioned, you should plug a laptop in before you do an operating system install anyway. The other solution is not to let the screen sleep (jiggle the trackpad every once in a while).

7. GCWB macrumors member

That's ridiculous. It's recommended not required.
    If it was required, Apple would not let the user do such an installation with no outlet power.

Don't make such preposterous accusations.

- Just saying

8. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

It's not preposterous, he's right, the installer does bug you to plug in.

9. GCWB macrumors member

He's not right. It bugs you, but it doesn't require you.
    The fact that it doesn't require you, means that Apple is okay with you installing on battery power. If your computer goes to sleep during the installation, is not the users fault, it's Apple's.

If it had said in the message where it bugs you, "please do not let your MBP go to sleep during installation" then yes. It would be the users fault.
    Recommended and Required are two different words.

10. Death-T macrumors regular

Death-T

I agree with the OP. I mean, you should keep the laptop plugged in as recommended to prevent that from happening in the first place. But since it is required the user should receive clearer warning, or else not be allowed to start the installation in the first place.

11. stuaz macrumors 6502

I am not sure this falls under the umbrella of a "serious flaw".......:rolleyes:

12. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

If it warns you to plug in power why would you ignore it ?

User Flaw IMO

13. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If its warning you, why take the chance?

Power shortage during OS installation can be pretty devastating.

----------

It tells you dont let your computer out during installation.
    If your Mac goes to sleep or shuts down during installation, that is user error.
    I dont know what makes you think this is Apple's fault.

14. GCWB macrumors member

Oh... I didn't realise it said that explicitly. I thought it was a mere recommendation. I was going on the information that the OP supplied and my memory.
    However maybe it should disallow the user from starting the installation when there is no outlet power present.

Let's be honest, all of us have done a system/software update on battery. We're all guilty of it. Seems a little unfair that an entire installation become corrupted because his computer went to sleep.

Then again, with that information you just gave me, seems there is more user error than I originally thought.

15. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I believe that as well.
    OS installation should not be allowed on battery.
    Or if the battery gets near 10%, it automatically cancels the installation.

Yes, I have done Software update on battery and user should be aware of their condition (i.e. time to sleep, battery percentage, etc).
    But I would like Apple to have some kind of "Safety" during these process as well.

16. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

How can an installation be currupted if the next time I powered back on the OS loaded successfully ? :rolleyes: