Serious Glitch! Lockscreen

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by mindfreck, Jul 22, 2013.

1. mindfreck macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

So one day i have decided to use ñ as my passcode in iOS 7 beta 3. However, i am unable to select ñ. Whenever i hold down the letter "n", and move to select ñ, the whole screen will swipe right.

Any help? I am lock out of my phone.

----------

anyone?

2. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

You might want to try soft and hard resets, if they don't work then restore, my ñ button works just fine on my beta keyboard.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

4. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

It says right in the release notes that special characters like that do not work on the beta and that there is no way to recover other than a full restore.

5. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

6. BroadcastDoc macrumors 6502

BroadcastDoc

Yes, because *only* those who use or speak English are developers.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Even if your language isn't English, having to avoid special characters in passwords doesn't strike me as a serious hardship.

8. err404 macrumors 68020

It's not about the hardship, rather security. Adding special chars makes brute force attacks to your password much more difficult. Also it's a serious bug that a user can set a password to an invalid string in the first place.
    That said, it's a known issue in the release notes so it's already on Apples to do list for the final release. There is nothing else to say on it.

9. BroadcastDoc macrumors 6502

BroadcastDoc

It is if you can set a password up with a special character without being warned that you will essentially lock yourself out of your device.

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

This issue was described in the release notes for beta 3.

11. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

The serious glitch is not that non standard characters shouldn't be used. It is that the operating system lets you use them in the first place as the passcode.

12. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

x2 this is hardly a language issue

13. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

If you had checked the release notes for seed 3 you would know that it is actually a known bug and Apple requests to set passwords in plain english characters PRIOR to updating to beta 3.

14. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Well sounds like the OP should have read the release notes like he should have when he loaded iOS 7. They are there for a reason. If everyone who loaded it read them FIRST, then the iOS 7 bugs threads would only be half as long as they are. A lot of people reported having issues, problems and bugs that were clearly listed in the release notes as known issues and to be expected. I don't feel bad for anyone that runs into these unexpectedly because they didn't pay attention to the important info that was offered to them prior to loading it. Unfortunately, OP, your issue could have been avoided if you did your research.

15. c0LdFire macrumors regular

It's already very impractical to unlock an iOS device via brute force - to the tune of it taking literally thousands of years to crack just a few bits of entropy thanks to timeouts.

16. BroadcastDoc macrumors 6502

BroadcastDoc

Sorry. I forgot that anyone who has an issue with iOS is at fault. :rolleyes:

So a glitch isn't a glitch if it's in the release notes? Good to know...

17. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No, it's still a glitch, but it's good practice to read release notes before updating to avoid issues like this. And if you do happen to update before reading them, it tells you that the only way to resolve this particular issue is with a restore.

18. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Nobody even remotely suggested either of your statements.

If it's in the release notes for a beta, Apple shouldn't be blamed if you either ignore or fail to read the release notes. Once iOS 7 is officially released, of course Apple should be held accountable for any glitches, acknowledged or not.

But this is beta software that is not intended for daily use. If you use it on a personal device, you have no right to complain about missing or broken functionality. I sympathize with the OP, but this is beta software and such oddities are to be expected.

19. HarryAinslie macrumors regular

HarryAinslie

tnh i think it's serious if one cannot get into their phone!

I'd be getting a locksmith round if it was mine! :D