Serious HD issue (no detection)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by awesomerobot, Apr 8, 2009.

1. awesomerobot macrumors newbie

Ok - so I think I've been duped unfortunately.

So, I buy a used Macbook on eBay (yeah, you know where this is going)

The user listed it as "Flashing grey folder icon, I don't know much about computers so I'm selling it as is"

So I think, great - he just has a dead HD, and doesn't want to bother fixing it. No big deal. So I buy the laptop, and the thing already has the HD removed upon opening it... great. I suppose I shouldn't have assumed that he DIDN'T open the laptop - so maybe that's stupidity on my part, whatever. Fingers crossed, I put in a new HD.

So the problem is - I install a new HD, boot from CD, open disk utility - and low and behold, no HD detected. I'm fairly knowledgeable about the hardware - but not really enough to diagnose this visually if I were to open it.

So what could be the issue here? Are there a multitude of things it could be - and I'll have to pay someone to check it out? or does it just generally mean I'm screwed? Everything else seems to work fine - I can boot into Linux using an external drive, it's just not detecting a HD.

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Seems that either the port (SATA) or the controller has fried up.... your best bet would be to take it up to a good repair shop and confirm the repair costs.... if they are beyond reasoning (which seems more likely to happen as you'll most probably require a Logic Board replacement) file up to ebay and hope for the best..

Fingers crossed!

3. awesomerobot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the speedy response

That's what I was looking for before paying $50 to have it diagnosed by a local Apple Certified service shop. (I've checked them out before, they're pretty good)

I hope that it's not the logic board - which would be way too expensive to have replaced, and if it is hopefully I can recoup most of what I paid by reselling it, although - I probably won't because I'd be more upfront about the actual issues than the initial seller was.

Ah well, you win some and you lose some.