serious help needed(macbook pro locked)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by havensagu1, May 8, 2012.

1. havensagu1 macrumors newbie

i bought a mac book from some one that came back from the united states and i am stuck with the mac bcos after 2-3 nonths i a prompt came up saying this laptop was stolen blah blah, and it shut down and restarted with a 6 digit pin which i dont know and it does not allow me do anytin at all cos its blocked with the pin page,i cant locate the person that sold the laptop to me, what do i do,i was thinking on reformating the hard disk by removing it from the system and formating it but i am kind of scared it wont work......plz any addition will b appreciated

2. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

you need to take it to an Apple repair center or contact their customer support. i am pretty sure that the lock is done via the firmware and so reinstalling the OS will likely not work.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's also possible that you bought a stolen macbook. If this is the case apple will not help you.

4. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

bad deal for you but good for your karma if the rightful owner were to get it back. who knows what Apple does to help someone like yourself if you did buy it stolen?

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sorry, but you almost certainly have a stolen MacBook. Incidentally, this is one reason it's recommend to wipe any Mac purchased used before doing anything else (I believe this could not have happened if the computer were wiped clean).

At this point, there can be no other reasonable assumption than that it is a stolen machine, and I suggest you report this to the local police department and have them advise you of your best course of action.

jW

6. WRP macrumors 6502a

lol on someone coming here, admitting they have a stolen laptop and asking for advice on ways around it.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

and stolen iPads, stolen iPhones, stolen iPods, and asking how to commit fraud.

8. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

you can assume it is stolen but that doesnt make it so and maybe he did nothing wrong even if it is stolen except buy it from a bad guy.

going to Apple if he is honest will help straighten this out for sure as they should know if it was reported stolen.

i come here less and less because of the mentality of so many posters here from accusing this guy we dont know of stealing or purposely buying stolen property to the inability for so many to admit that Apple can do wrong.

anyway i hope you get it fixed OP or are able to return it to the owner if that is the case.

9. WRP macrumors 6502a

I never assumed and I never accused. I said he admitted he was in possession of a stolen laptop.

He/she said:

"i am stuck with the mac bcos after 2-3 nonths i a prompt came up saying this laptop was stolen blah blah

That doesn't sound like he/she is too concerned they have stolen material. Then they said:

"i was thinking on reformating the hard disk by removing it from the system and formating it but i am kind of scared it wont work"

Stating that they want to get around the theft protection of the device so they can use it again. They didn't say "wow, did I really buy a stolen item? What should I do since I can't locate the seller?" Or not even "Is there any reason this would happen if it wasn't stolen?"

No, they specifically shrugged off the fact they bought stolen merchandise and didn't care about anything but getting the machine to work for them again.

Maybe it's a good thing you don't come around much anymore if you think this thread was appropriate in any way shape or form.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple isn't going to help with a stolen macbook. They will not lead you to the original owner. If the macbook is indeed stolen, you are in possession of stolen merchandise and could be arrested.

11. havensagu1 thread starter macrumors newbie

pls

a guy came back from the united states and sold the mac book to me here in Africa(nigeria) so u see my dilema

----------

i have tried contacting the owner his name is NIC ROSKAM and after a series of mail to him and facebook messages he has not replied me since decemberi even sent him a message yesterday buy no reply so u can see how the problem is?

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Well that's a new type of Nigerian scam to me.

OP, sorry, but we can't help you. Not only are we not allowed to by forum rules, but we literally can't help you, as only an Apple Authorized Service Center could remove that for you, and I doubt they would (not sure what the story is in Nigeria for that sort of thing). You've gotten screwed by the guy that sold you the stolen laptop, but your options are pretty slim.

jW

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

How difficult is it really to request some proof of ownership on a used electronic device with obvious black market value?