Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cecret

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2003
The trackpad on my ibook g4 has gone mad. It works sometimes and doesn't others with no rhym or reason. When it goes bad the curssor will either jump from one side of the screen to the other or not move at all. Sometimes I can olny move it up and down others only side to side. I've tried cleaning it to no avail. I have apple care but I know when I go into the store that it will work fine with no problems and that when I get back home all hell will break loose.

Has anyone else had these issues or can offer some advice??

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
are you sure only your finger is touching the pad and your not resting your palm on it? sometimes i do that by mistake.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Only issue I've had with it is that it seems like you really have to thwack your finger down to get it to recognize the tap for a mouse click. Otherwise it's as good as the trackpad on my 1Ghz TiBook.

vlazlo

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
yes, i have had exactly the same issues with my track pad as well. it is completely random as well as completely frustrating. just read on yahoo.com news that a lot of ibook owners are threatening to sue apple (not about the track pad of course, rather, other issues). i have been an apple user for fifteen years, i love apple and loathe using pcs, hopefully these issues will soon be resolved, let's hope.

Cecret

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2003
I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. Have you had any luck sorting this problem out? I want to send it back to apple but I can't recreate the problem on command so they will just tell me there's nothing wrong with my machine. At this point I wish something else would break so I could just get a new ibook.

yosoyjay

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
Canada
It could be lots of things.

The molex connection on the motherboard fell off on my iBook. I've heard of this happening to a few other folks as well. You might want to have Applecare look at it asap.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
don't you just love it when you read posts on the apple boards that say 'this is a well known problem', yet still there's no solution??

wolverine

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2003
Has anyone taken an iBook with this problem back to Apple for replacement/repair?

I have problems with my keyboard too, but can't get through to Apple on phone or by email...

Wolverine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.