Serious iMessage/Text Message Bugs

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ELMI0001, Oct 8, 2014.

1. ELMI0001 macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

Wife and I both have 5S's running iOS 8.0.2. We both have issues sending iMessages or Text messages. This occurs on messages to people on any platform and on group messages.

Steps we've taken to work-around the problem:

Uninstalled third party keyboards. This slowed the frequency of failed sent messages.

My work around is to restart the phone OR turn off iMessages and wi-fi, then turn them back on and it works.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I haven't read this anyways. I would downgrade to iOS 7 if Apple hadn't stopped authorizing iOS 7.

It randomly occurs. Here's a screenshot of it happening between myself and a friend with an iPhone. We were both on wifi at the time.

[​IMG]

2. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Mine fails sent iMessages a lot (iPhone 6+), but if i try sending it as a text the next iMessage sends OK.

I'm on 8.0.2 and my partner has a 5 on 8.0.2 and it doesn't happen to her.

3. ELMI0001 thread starter macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

It does work as a text usually but my plan has a small text limit because everyone I regularly text has an iPhone. I went over on my text bill last month for the first time in years because of this issue.

4. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

My weird issue is...

Shared AppleID, 3 phones, 3 iPads.

My imessages to my buddy will show up on my wife's iPad.

Go into settings on her iPad, turn off my phone number under "send from".

Works properly.

The next day it happens again, setting is magically turned on again in iMessage settings on her device.

5. ELMI0001 thread starter macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

I haven't had that issue but our Apple ID is shared. Have you tried setting up Family Sharing? I've thought about it but feel I might be creating more problems for myself.

6. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Thats weird. On my iPhone the images don't have that border around it. Just the image is cropped to that shape.

7. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Without support for iTunes Match, family sharing is useless to me.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

iOS 8.0 and 8.0.2 worked fine with text message and FaceTime also I haven't had any problems with iMessage only to any iPhone/ipad yet. :apple:

9. appleii.c macrumors 6502

appleii.c

by "Magically" do you mean your wife? ;) Maybe she's turning it back on.

10. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Trust me, she is not.
    She is the one telling me that it is happening.

11. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

I had this problem with my mom and I (sharing an Apple ID). I eventually just made her an Apple ID just for iMessage and Facetime and moved her number and emails to that ID. She is now signed into my iTunes ID and into her ID for iMessage and Facetime.

12. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

mine is also a shared apple id, must have something to do with that and an iOS8 bug

13. Orlaam macrumors member

The messaging app is buggy as all get out. I love the new quick reply feature and other goodies, but it's so glitchy. Messages marked as new within an active thread, including my own replies, screen rotation errors, deletion/marking issues, ect...

Annoying

14. rza49311 macrumors member

I've seen this happen on my 6 a few times and my wife more frequently on her 6. Happened on her 5 too. How much space is your messaging app taking up? My wife's was almost 7GB. Mainly from sending videos of kids to grand parents. Luckily in IOS 8 you can go through and delete them without actually deleting the thread. Might be a complete coinscidence but after deleting a bunch of videos and bringing the size down to a couple of GB's it happens much less frequently for her. We live in a fringe area and I think that causes issues as well from time to time.

15. ELMI0001 thread starter macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

We just changed our settings to delete messages older than a year. Both phones are 32GB with plenty of storage space.

My messages are taking up 2.4 gb. I'm sure my wife has more.

I had these errors occuring yesterday. They would occur after I left a wifi network. I think it's a Messages/Wifi bug.

I would text from home (on wifi) and it would work fine. Out to lunch on LTE and the message wouldn't go through. Same situation later in the day. At work on wifi the messages were fine, off-site meeting on LTE the messages would fail.

The reason I think it's a wifi issue too is that my iHeartRadio app cuts out at home on wifi. Every couple of minutes I get a couple of seconds of silence. If I turn off wifi and just stream from cell service there are no moments of silence.

16. Saif23 macrumors regular

When Im Texting Someone, I Get Blank Text's From Them, Not All The Time But Sometimes, How Do I Fix It ?

17. machtv macrumors regular

had the same problem yesterday. i was trying to send a few pics to a client. i just gave up after about 30mins. and just went back to my note3 and the pics were sent with no problems.

18. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Not getting any issues with iMessage on any of my phones.

19. Sgh808 macrumors member

Sgh808

See if the date isn't what it's supposed to be.

20. ELMI0001 thread starter macrumors 6502

ELMI0001

Date is correct (if you were commenting back to me).

I'm tempted to do a fresh restore and start from scratch but I shouldn't have to do that.

21. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I was having issues last night, I sent my brother a MMS to his Nexus, I seen him a few hours later and asked "didnt you get my pic" since I got not reply earlier, he said "ya didn't you get my reply" I thought nothing of it.

Later that night someone else asked didnt you get my text, I said No and not I started testing at this point I could no longer send texts either

I powered down my phone and back on and all the missed texts came in and I could now send texts

not sure if this was a one off or its something to do with iOS 8.0.2