Serious iphone update? Don't hold your breath

aceducy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
If there is an update anytime soon, it'll be European in nature.

Apple's not putting ANY effort for the old/current version of the Iphone - you go ahead and complain with your proposed feature list all you want. All of the development is going into the corrected new version, which you'll probably see April or so.

There was a major catfight over at Apple about even releasing the current version. Apple is steeped in process, and it takes months to make even the simplest of changes after running the idea through hundreds of departments like legal, mail, OS, hardware, manufacturing, etc etc.

If you think you can get the Chinese to work any faster, or Apple execs to be less greedy, then you're dreaming. After they come up with ideas, it has to come back over to the US for reality testing for a few months, then be scheduled for production, if it makes it through the endless meetings.

Like Jobs is under some pressure or something - jezz. His whole world just doubled in price over the last 5 months and he could frankly give a rats azz.

Get real people, Apple is what it is. Be glad with what you've got

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
not quite sure what your point is? as long as I get any sort of iphone next friday I'll be happy!

Comment

Farani

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
The only update you might see before Christmas is a 16GB hard drive, but I doubt it. I'd expect it at Macworld.

Comment

alFR

macrumors 68020
Aug 10, 2006
Apple's not putting ANY effort for the old/current version of the Iphone - you go ahead and complain with your proposed feature list all you want. All of the development is going into the corrected new version, which you'll probably see April or so.
Work there, do you? If so, how can you post this without breaking your NDA? If not, this is just so much forum hot air....

Comment

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
so you say a new iphone with serious updates is possible till april 08?

that is just stating the obvious. and i don't see what is bad about it. if it's good i buy it in april then.

what's your point? what are you complaining about?:confused:

Comment

aceducy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
It wouldn't be a good morning on MR without a nice newbie rant.

:D
It would be a bad night if we didn't hear such an insightful reply from the revered worldly 43mil post wonder of all-saying, all-knowning hari-kashi of the iphone forum.

Rule #1: check the post count. belittle lower numbers, bow to higher numbers
Rule #2: Your big brother whips your butt for hogging the computer all day while playing sick from school
Rule #2: Drop everything when your mother calls you for supper

Comment

aceducy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
so you say a new iphone with serious updates is possible till april 08?

that is just stating the obvious. and i don't see what is bad about it. if it's good i buy it in april then.

what's your point? what are you complaining about?:confused:
Whoa. I guess I need to rethink the whole thing, and come up with a decent "complaint" lol. Didn't know the bar was set so low but I'll work on it.

I'll get my post count up to about 14,593 too. This is great! Wait till I tell all the girls I've got 14,593 posts - they'll just throw themselves at me

Give me a few days, I'll get back with you.

Comment

chr1s60

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
California

There was a major catfight over at Apple about even releasing the current version. Apple is steeped in process, and it takes months to make even the simplest of changes after running the idea through hundreds of departments like legal, mail, OS, hardware, manufacturing, etc etc.

If you think you can get the Chinese to work any faster, or Apple execs to be less greedy, then you're dreaming. After they come up with ideas, it has to come back over to the US for reality testing for a few months, then be scheduled for production, if it makes it through the endless meetings.

Like Jobs is under some pressure or something - jezz. His whole world just doubled in price over the last 5 months and he could frankly give a rats azz.

Yeah, because we all know Apple abandons all new products and support for them 4 months after release. What is your source for this new iPhone in April? Apple WILL NOT stop support or developing for the current version of iPhone because it would be suicide for any chance of them surviving in the cell phone market. Not to mention that if they release a new iPhone in April(which they won't) it would be pointless because they would have no customers for it due to the 4 Million phones they will have likely sold worldwide by then. Even if a new iPhone is released they will still continue to provide bug fixes and likely new features until there is at least an iPhone 3, just like they do with their computers.

Comment

aonflux

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Sometimes I am amazed at what people expect... the iPhone is not even 6 months old and you guys are expecting a major update? :confused:

Comment

alFR

macrumors 68020
Aug 10, 2006
But aren't rumors and someones thoughts what this forum is all about?
Yes, but this is being presented as fact rather than opinion or rumour. I think in that case it's reasonable to ask for a source, don't you? :D

Comment

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Funny,

I met someone the other night who's uhhh "relative" is on the iPhone Design team. I should have asked him about it... He did tell me how his "relative" was busting their butt making trips back/forth to China and what not.

I can't imagine they would be logging the frequent flier miles for no good reason. I hope they didn't abandon the old phone, but such is life in gadget land.

Comment

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Funny,

I met someone the other night who's uhhh "relative" is on the iPhone Design team. I should have asked him about it... He did tell me how his "relative" was busting their butt making trips back/forth to China and what not.

I can't imagine they would be logging the frequent flier miles for no good reason. I hope they didn't abandon the old phone, but such is life in gadget land.
My co-worker's Wife is on the support team for the iphone and she says that a new 3g phone is coming out before Christmas .... But i don't believe it...

Comment

SHowHawk

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2007
If, by "serious update," you mean a hardware update (e.g., addition of 3G radio, GPS, etc.), then I agree, there will not be a new iPhone update until after the new year. In fact, given the relatively slow (compared to Mac hardware) rollout to the rest of the world (Europe just starting to get it in November and Asia not until next year), I believe that there will not be a major hardware revision (other than maybe a bump in storage to 16GB) until mid-2008 at the earliest.

If, however, by "serious update," you mean a software/firmware update (e.g., adding applications and s/w or f/w features), then I very much disagree. We pretty much know we will see at least one major software/firmware update around February - the one that will enable 3rd party applications through the announced SDK. And I expect another even before that... to iron out some of the bugs and issues (TIFF exploit anyone?) with firmware version 1.1.1. Plus, my Spidey sense smells an iTunes update (and corresponding iPod Touch / iPhone firmware update) on or before MacWorld in January. :)

Comment

hidehide

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007

I can type chinese in my iphone already :)
3rd party application FTW!

Comment

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Sometimes I am amazed at what people expect... the iPhone is not even 6 months old and you guys are expecting a major update? :confused:
Yes, but this is being presented as fact rather than opinion or rumour. I think in that case it's reasonable to ask for a source, don't you? :D
that's my problem with this. No you don't have to rethink your opinion, but the fact that you are presentingit as a fact is where many people will have problems with what you wrote. It has nothing to do with post count, but there have been a lot of noobs coming into this forum and claiming stuff that is obviously not true. Just dont talk as if what you say is fact and people won't be so negatve about your post

Comment