Serious issue with Preview on macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jakobkp, Sep 14, 2013.

1. jakobkp macrumors newbie

Hey :)

I got a really REALLY annoying problem with preview on my mac.

The problem is quite "simple" but devastating for using my macbook.

Everytime I open or use Preview, it simply opens EVERY single pdf, gif, png, jpg I have on the computer. And thats quite a lot. Right now it says that it has 1.876 documents, 14.853 pages open at once.

And if u try to close them all, it just goes cold cause it wants me to archive all the documents for each I close.

It is simply making the computer totally useless, cause it almost uses all power on Preview.

Only way you can close the thing is by holding "on/off" button down until it shuts.

Plz help :eek:(

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Try deleting the Preview preference file. I'm not at my Mac so I can't give you the exact location of that file...perhaps someone else can.

3. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Did you close the windows before shutting down Preview?

4. chabig macrumors 68040

1. Shut down the computer using any means possible.

2. Reboot and log in while holding down the shift key. This prevents the apps that were open before from automatically relaunching.

3. Hold down the shift key while launching Preview (I suggest finding the Preview icon in Applications and typing cmd-shift-O to launch). This will force it to start with a clean slate. After you do this, you'll be OK.

5. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

The preferences folder is hidden, but you can access it from Finder by opening the GO menu, then pressing alt while the menu is open - you will see Library appear in the menu - select this.
    Within the Library folder is the Preferences folder for the current user.
    Within here you'll find the following 3 preference files:

com.apple.Preview.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist
    com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist
    com.apple.Preview.plist

Drag these 3 files to your desktop (make sure a copy doesn't remain in the Preferences folder).

Launch Preview and let us know how you get on.