Serious issue with Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pjlander, Feb 16, 2010.

1. pjlander macrumors member

pjlander

My TC is not dead. Light is on and I can connect my MBP from my living room...but only with the TC in Radio Mode 802.11n only (5 GHz). I cant connect my old macbook or my PS3 anymore. The TC is 30 feet away in another room. The other hardware cannont find it. WTF?

All of the sudden tonight when i got home my stuff wouldnt connect. So i changed the radio mode. I dont know what I am doing, but that helped my MBP connect in the living room but nothing else.

If i switch the radio mode to something else, i can;t connect in the living room. Its like my TC has lost range. Is that possible??

The HD on TC is not dead. All the files are there. What is going on??

UPDATE:

I switched the radio mode to 2.4 and the signal is very weak in my living room. MBP connects.

Still can't connect my old macbook and PS3. Everything was working just fine this morning.

FIXED:

If i knew how to delete this thread, I would.

I fixed the problem. Looks like i needed to switch the channel on the router?!? WTF. i have had this TC for almost 2 years and never had a problem and then one day i come home and its all effed up. And all i needed to do was switch to another channel. J.O.K.E.

I switched from 1 to 6 and it works along with the PS3 and other macs.

FML

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Definitely not an FML and probably no fault of yours or the Time Capsule itself. It could be that a device was added by a neighbor that interfered with the TC when it was on channel 1. Glad to hear you got it sorted though. And to be honest, you should leave this thread up as others with similar issues may benefit from reading it. But FYI, if you do decide that a thread you created requires deletion, you can report it using the red and white triangle at the bottom left of your post and request that it be deleted.

3. Terry Smith macrumors member

Terry Smith

Certainly not a mistake to leave this up!

Don't know if it will solve my problems with my TC, but if it does - love ya!

Was searching the forums for best router, and saw this post.

Thanks!

TMS

4. Terry Smith macrumors member

Terry Smith

Nope, didn't fix it. :(

2 minutes still to copy a 15MB file.

Ugh... time to rethink the whole networking shebang.

TMS

5. Terry Smith macrumors member

Terry Smith

Apple comes to the rescue!

As many other people here posted recently, I made the call to Apple about my flaky time capsule - few this and that's on the phone, and they shipped me a new one!

Called yesterday, and the new Time Capsule showed up this morning.

Great work Apple - too bad it flaked out in the first place - but still happy.

TMS