Serious Lion Bugs

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by KyleGP, Aug 25, 2011.

1. KyleGP macrumors member

Hi all,
    So far Lion has been hell for me.
    I think I'm ready to go back to Snow Leopard...

I just had an issue in my other thread that caused me to freshly reinstall Lion.

Now theres even worse problems. Tonight, out of nowhere things started running slow. Then I get a low disk space warning. I check, and I had 800MB left! I have a 500gb hard disk in my Macbook Pro (2011) and I've barely used any. I look at the get info, and Lion is slowly eating away at the disk space more and more. I can't figure out what is using the space!!! I think this is a major bug because I've read a few other posts with the same issue, and they've all contacted Apple to no avail.

Also, on the desktop I have my Macintosh HD displayed. I also have the disk space information displayed, but in Lion it's not checking the disk space properly. It still says 449GB available, but there isn't!

There's something seriously wrong with hard drive space in Lion. See the picture.

I'm out of options, should I just go back to Lion? I'm literally watching my space disappear.

Attached Files:

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

check about this mac from the apple logo, more information and then click storage

does it show anything under backup

this is temp space that gets eaten up on laptop models for local time machine

3. KyleGP thread starter macrumors member

"Other" is 241gb. I'd say whatever "Other" is, is the culprit.

And any idea why the icon on the desktop isn't checking the available space properly?

P.S My disk read activity is off the charts!

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Can you do a screen grab of "About This Mac" Storage ?

Also are you running any virtualization software ? Other than bootcamp.

5. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

the desktop icon looks fine, just not enough space to display everything (the dots in the middle show it has missed something out in displaying it)

449 GB..GB Free

should be

449 GB 5.xx Free GB

6. KyleGP thread starter macrumors member

Here you are.
    No no virtualization running. I'm only running safari atm with this tab.

I'm not sure what to do but I need to act fast. There's CONSTANT disk activity even after reboot. It's like a recurring data eating bug!

Attached Files:

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sounds more like a runaway log file most likely. Use OmniDiskSweeper to find the culprit, it'll tell you exactly where the space is being used.

If you have another disk you can boot from in the meantime it might help you get and run OmniDiskSweeper.

BTW, the desktop icon is reading the available space, it simply doesn't have space to display the information properly. You can fix that by increasing the grid spacing sometimes, but sometimes it simply can't be displayed. I think it's poor design, but there's nothing I've found that can be done to fix it.

jW

8. KyleGP thread starter macrumors member

Thankyou for this. Found the culprit, and it's gone. It was some temporarily files gone crazy from a Minecraft mod...weird.

Also yes it was cause the grid was too small. Fixed that also. Great guys, thanks heaps!

9. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

10. basher macrumors 6502

basher

Amazing how Lion takes the heat for others faulty wares.