Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hey, my M1 Macbook Pro has issues with both kernel panics and my mouse freezing.

It's at the point where it's really affecting my workflow.

However, I can only imagine the dumb, painful, pointless troubleshooting that awaits me at Apple's technical support line - so I'd prefer to fix things here, myself, if possible.

Initially, I noted that my Logitech MX Master 2S mouse will randomly stop moving for 10-20 seconds.

My trackpad will still work - it's just the external mouse that stops moving.

As this mouse has worked perfectly until now, I figured it was broken (two years in) and ordered the new MX Master 3 Mac.

Same issue.

Also, I now regularly come back to my Macbook and discover my external Phillips 4K monitor (connected via USB-C/Displayport) has been 'forgotten' and is no longer connected.

I unplug and replug... and I'm greeted with a frozen screen, a pink flash - and an instant restart.

Kernel message is pasted here.

I wondered if my Caldigit Soho USB dock (plugged into the second USB-C port) or any of the hard drives or MIDI controllers connected are causing issues.

However, I've unplugged the dock and still get the constant mouse-hanging issue.

None of this is acceptable - I bought a $2.5K machine to run my marketing agency.

I do not appreciate realising that I'm Tim Cook's guinea pig to experiment with his new, unfinished BETA toy.

Any tips or advice?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Did you use Migration Assistant when you first set up your Mac?

Have you tried doing a clean install and then use the machine as is for a while and see if you get any panics? If you don't get any panics, add another device and or third party app one at a time and see if one of them triggers a panic.

In looking at the kernel panic report, it looks like one of the accessories is the cause.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
I've setup quite a lot of M1s now, and overall they've been pretty good with the exception of one that was migrated from a system with a lot of third-party hardware drivers that proved incompatible and apparently were not completely removed during migration. This person was using a drawing-tablet, Logitech mouse-software, etc. Their system ended up pretty unstable, and your situation sounds similar.

In the end I had to back-up the new M1 machine, wipe it totally, clean install (difficult; remember the M1 can get into a non-recoverable state if you don't have a second machine with Apple Configurator 2 available), and then migrate back only the user. No apps, no system configuration or machine settings. Then reinstalled all the apps, minus any hardware without software updated for the M1. Last I heard that resolved all the issues.

In theory Migration Assistant should have pulled anything incompatible during your initial Migration, but that doesn't always seem to happen.

EDIT: Before you go through all that bother, DO try creating a new user account to test. Login to that new account and play for a while. See if all the problems go away. If they do, then the problem is in your User account itself.

Reactions: 0128672

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Did you use Migration Assistant when you first set up your Mac?

Have you tried doing a clean install and then use the machine as is for a while and see if you get any panics? If you don't get any panics, add another device and or third party app one at a time and see if one of them triggers a panic.

In looking at the kernel panic report, it looks like one of the accessories is the cause.
I did not use Migration Assistant - specifically to avoid technical issues.

Ugh. I have a lot of work on and would really like to avoid doing a clean install if possible!

I'm getting the mouse hanging issues even when I unplug the dock - so the only device physically plugged in at this time is the monitor via USB-C/Displayport.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I've setup quite a lot of M1s now, and overall they've been pretty good with the exception of one that was migrated from a system with a lot of third-party hardware drivers that proved incompatible and apparently were not completely removed during migration. This person was using a drawing-tablet, Logitech mouse-software, etc. Their system ended up pretty unstable, and your situation sounds similar.

In the end I had to back-up the new M1 machine, wipe it totally, clean install (difficult; remember the M1 can get into a non-recoverable state if you don't have a second machine with Apple Configurator 2 available), and then migrate back only the user. No apps, no system configuration or machine settings. Then reinstalled all the apps, minus any hardware without software updated for the M1. Last I heard that resolved all the issues.

In theory Migration Assistant should have pulled anything incompatible during your initial Migration, but that doesn't always seem to happen.

EDIT: Before you go through all that bother, DO try creating a new user account to test. Login to that new account and play for a while. See if all the problems go away. If they do, then the problem is in your User account itself.
I started with a clean install - no migration assistant!

I also use zero pirate software.

I use a lot of music software, although it's all totally legit.

Would running my Mac without any music software for a while be a good test?

MK500

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Any tips or advice?

These kernel panics are not normal. If this is a new machine you would be best served to return it and buy a different one. Hopefully Apple Support would eventually come to the same conclusion and swap it out, but if I were you I would realize your time is valuable and it’s not worth it to keep what appears to be a rare lemon.

A small percentage of all new equipment is defective from the factory in a manner that isn’t detected by the automated assembly line testing. This will happen with everything from cars to phones. You got unlucky.

There isn’t much in terms of serviceable parts in your MacBook; so if the motherboard is bad it’s best to swap the whole computer if possible.

My M1 is rock solid and not ”BETA” anything, and I received it in the first batch of shipments.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
These kernel panics are not normal. If this is a new machine you would be best served to return it and buy a different one. Hopefully Apple Support would eventually come to the same conclusion and swap it out, but if I were you I would realize your time is valuable and it’s not worth it to keep what appears to be a rare lemon.

A small percentage of all new equipment is defective from the factory in a manner that isn’t detected by the automated assembly line testing. This will happen with everything from cars to phones. You got unlucky.

There isn’t much in terms of serviceable parts in your MacBook; so if the motherboard is bad it’s best to swap the whole computer if possible.

My M1 is rock solid and not ”BETA” anything, and I received it in the first batch of shipments.
Ouch, that's painful.

However, I'm in the UK and will fly back to Portugal in one month (no Apple Store) then to Bali indefinitely.

So, better now than later.

You think it's really unusual and not normal, even with accessories?

I should be able to do a backup and restore from Time Machine, right?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Hey, my M1 Macbook Pro has issues with both kernel panics and my mouse freezing.

It's at the point where it's really affecting my workflow.

However, I can only imagine the dumb, painful, pointless troubleshooting that awaits me at Apple's technical support line - so I'd prefer to fix things here, myself, if possible.

Initially, I noted that my Logitech MX Master 2S mouse will randomly stop moving for 10-20 seconds.

My trackpad will still work - it's just the external mouse that stops moving.

As this mouse has worked perfectly until now, I figured it was broken (two years in) and ordered the new MX Master 3 Mac.

Same issue.

Also, I now regularly come back to my Macbook and discover my external Phillips 4K monitor (connected via USB-C/Displayport) has been 'forgotten' and is no longer connected.

I unplug and replug... and I'm greeted with a frozen screen, a pink flash - and an instant restart.

Kernel message is pasted here.

I wondered if my Caldigit Soho USB dock (plugged into the second USB-C port) or any of the hard drives or MIDI controllers connected are causing issues.

However, I've unplugged the dock and still get the constant mouse-hanging issue.

None of this is acceptable - I bought a $2.5K machine to run my marketing agency.

I do not appreciate realising that I'm Tim Cook's guinea pig to experiment with his new, unfinished BETA toy.

Any tips or advice?
I use a Caldigit SOHO USB-C dock every day and I don’t see those issues. I use an LG 4K display and an Apple Magic Trackpad. So not the same peripherals though.

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018
It failed the diagnostic test repeatedly while not connected to the Caldigit Soho.

Also, I understand that Caldigit enjoy a great reputation?
Caldigit Soho, they are great products. You have kernel panics on your Mac, most of the time they won't go away till you replace the logic board.

Kernel panics are the one thing I HATE about macOS.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
I did not use Migration Assistant - specifically to avoid technical issues.

Ugh. I have a lot of work on and would really like to avoid doing a clean install if possible!

I'm getting the mouse hanging issues even when I unplug the dock - so the only device physically plugged in at this time is the monitor via USB-C/Displayport.

Well, you are down to only a few possible things, and you just need to go through the process to figure out which it is if you are determined to try and troubleshoot it on your own: You could have a bad laptop. It happens. You could have something wrong with the OS, even though you did not migrate. You could have a hardware incompatibility with the device(s) plugged in. Software you installed may have borked it all up.

If you have a backup drive I would do this:

1) Make a backup
2) Do a wipe and clean install (again, first read about how you have to go about this on an M1 - you really need another Mac to you install Apple Configurator 2 on in order to do a complete wipe and clean install)
3) Set it up again from scratch without plugging in ANY of your external hardware.

Is it stable?

If not, then it basically has to have a hardware issue and it's time to go to Apple.

4) If if IS stable then start plugging in devices, one at a time, until it breaks. Start with devices that require zero software. Then move to devices that DO require software.

5) At this point you may know what caused the problem. However, if it is still stable you can start reinstalling your software until you figure out which package caused the problems.

That's pretty much the entire process in a nutshell.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
If it failed to run the Diagnostics test (as some have had a problem with) that is a known issue Apple is aware of and trying to solve. Some users solved the problem with a new M1 and others updating the OS, which you have already done.

Sounds like you may have a bad board.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Well, you are down to only a few possible things, and you just need to go through the process to figure out which it is if you are determined to try and troubleshoot it on your own: You could have a bad laptop. It happens. You could have something wrong with the OS, even though you did not migrate. You could have a hardware incompatibility with the device(s) plugged in. Software you installed may have borked it all up.

If you have a backup drive I would do this:

1) Make a backup
2) Do a wipe and clean install (again, first read about how you have to go about this on an M1 - you really need another Mac to you install Apple Configurator 2 on in order to do a complete wipe and clean install)
3) Set it up again from scratch without plugging in ANY of your external hardware.

Is it stable?

If not, then it basically has to have a hardware issue and it's time to go to Apple.

4) If if IS stable then start plugging in devices, one at a time, until it breaks. Start with devices that require zero software. Then move to devices that DO require software.

5) At this point you may know what caused the problem. However, if it is still stable you can start reinstalling your software until you figure out which package caused the problems.

That's pretty much the entire process in a nutshell.
I appreciate your assistance, but I'll tell Apple to do this for me.

I'm running two companies and I have an insane amount of work this weekend.

I paid $2,500 for a laptop because I don't have time to fix stuff.

Apple can do this for me - or give me my money back.

Reactions: d.o.p.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
If it failed to run the Diagnostics test (as some have had a problem with) that is a known issue Apple is aware of and trying to solve. Some users solved the problem with a new M1 and others updating the OS, which you have already done.

Thanks, this is reassuring to hear - do you have any supporting links?

I plan to throw the book at Apple and tell them to sort this problem out on their time - rather than wasting mine.

Any evidence that it's a reoccurring theme would be super-handy!

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster

UPDATE

I briefly Googled and there are a TONNE of support threads for people who can't run diagnostics on an M1!

I've backed up on Time Machine.

I'm glad I bought a Google Pixelbook Go as a backup device!

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Thanks, this is reassuring to hear - do you have any supporting links?

I plan to throw the book at Apple and tell them to sort this problem out on their time - rather than wasting mine.

Any evidence that it's a reoccurring theme would be super-handy!
I don't have any forum links saved pertaining to the diagnostics tests. I will say that one forum member that had the problem (and I believe a replacement fixed it for him) is "Quackers." I recall reading about 3 maybe 4 members not being able to run the Diagnostics test with the M1 either doing nothing (spinning wheel) or booting straight to recovery. Search his name and you will probably find some threads / other members.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I don't have any forum links saved pertaining to the diagnostics tests. I will say that one forum member that had the problem (and I believe a replacement fixed it for him) is "Quackers." I recall reading about 3 maybe 4 members not being able to run the Diagnostics test with the M1 either doing nothing (spinning wheel) or booting straight to recovery. Search his name and you will probably find some threads / other members.
Yup, done!

Thanks for pointing this out - I am now armed with many forum posts for tomorrow's call.

I'm not spending my Saturday trying to wipe and reload my Mac - and losing valuable business time.

I'm in town briefly anyway and can visit the Apple Store - who can shoulder their responsibility for fixing the dodgy machine that I just purchased from them.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Yup, done!

Thanks for pointing this out - I am now armed with many forum posts for tomorrow's call.

I'm not spending my Saturday trying to wipe and reload my Mac - and losing valuable business time.

I'm in town briefly anyway and can visit the Apple Store - who can shoulder their responsibility for fixing the dodgy machine that I just purchased from them.
I hope all goes well for you. Stay calm tomorrow and be polite. Let them know your M1 is very critical for work and you need it fixed (if you are passed the return window.) If you aren't passed the window, return it and buy another one.

Reactions: alexjholland

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I hope all goes well for you. Stay calm tomorrow and be polite. Let them know your M1 is very critical for work and you need it fixed (if you are passed the return window.) If you aren't passed the window, return it and buy another one.
I bought it in December 2020, so I guess it's past the return window?

However, it's within the first year - and it's clearly defective!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I bought it in December 2020, so I guess it's past the return window?

However, it's within the first year - and it's clearly defective!
Yes, past the Window but, still under warranty and eligible for replacement. Apple will probably run several tests. Take your panic logs and if you have any video highlighting the problem, make sure they see that as well. The more precise you are with them the better.

Reactions: alexjholland
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.