Serious Macbook PRO Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Oxonian3, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Oxonian3 macrumors regular

Okay guys I need to choose between 3 Laptops:
    1.2011 MBP 2.0GHz Model Standard Glossy 5400RPM-$1650+(SSD/8GB RAM)
    2.2011 MBP 2.2GHz Model Standard Glossy 5400RPM-$2025(SSD/8GB RAM Later)
    3.2011 MBP 2.0GHz Model Hi res Anti-Glare 500GB 7200RPM-$2050(SSD/8GB RAM Later)
    I am really torn between these options.I am no hardcore video editor/photographer.Just a student whos old MBP's motherboard died and i'm in the market for a new one.I already have a PS3 for my games.It's really between the Hi res Anti-glare 7200RPM base and the glossy standard displays.I'm leaning towards the antiglare but still can't seem to make a decision :confused:
    HELP ME PLEASE,
    ;) Thanks.

2. mmmk macrumors newbie

I love my current Anti-Glare, but the screen isn't bright enough when it's outside (bright enough for glare). So if I were to do it over again, I might get a glossy just for the sake of being able to touch my screen freely.

I would definitely go for Hi-Res. I love it!

3. badtzwang macrumors regular

You can't touch your Anti-Glare screen freely?

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

if ur on a budget than first choice.

if u got $$ to burn, then id get the second. unless ur going outside alot, u dont need anti glare.

5. Oxonian3 thread starter macrumors regular

I plan on taking it to class which in the morning is very well lit with the sun and i mean VERY well lit.It's for note taking/Multi-media powerpoint sharing with the teacher.

6. randomrazr macrumors 65816

in university, chances are for most classes u will prefer taking notes old fasion way. with power point presentations, profs will post a copy of the presnetation, you print off the slides, and make notes beside it.

u can take notes on the computer, but i think you will revert back to binder and paper and pen lol

if glare bothers u alot than go for anti glare. ive been watching CRT tvs all my life so glare doesnt bother me at all. you wont be the only one in the lecture who has glossy if u go with that.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd go with the last option, but skip the 7200 RPM if you're just going to install a SSD later.

8. Oxonian3 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not even sure if i need the AG,if not then I would buy the Hi end model.I NEED HELP! lol

9. www.KPR.nu, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  10. Meetster macrumors member

I would go for Hi-End because its a better CPU and much better GPU!

If you work much outdoor go for the AG!

11. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Get glossy. Many people complain of the AG not diffusing light properly and also light bleeding.

Plus glossy just looks sexier and more Mac-ish

12. Oxonian3 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

What about the hi res,does it stand up to all the hype? Comparing the two screens to me there isn't much of a difference

13. lfshammu macrumors member

It does make the text look a lot better. less jagged edges. Go to an apple store and compare them for yourself.

14. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

i may not be Mr.black or a dog
    BUUUTTTTT the antiglare looks better IMO but i say go to the apple store and look for yourself ;)

15. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Many people? Most people that have the AG love it and prefer it on multiple working conditions.

16. joshaarons macrumors newbie

joshaarons

if you don't mind me asking, what do you use the computer for? I only ask because they new Macbook (White) is pretty fast and I think they are going to upgrade it to the i5 very soon. But if you don't do video or audio, a macbook pro is overkill unless you just wanted the 15" screen

17. Oxonian3 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm a student who will be working with multimedia files but not like the professionals.I had a 2008 15" but the board failed so I'm getting good 15" prices on glossy/AG

18. nigameash macrumors 6502

Get the hi-res screen ;) Its definitely worth it. Also you dont need the 2.2 unless you plan on gaming on the machine sometime in the future.

19. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

I got the standard res glossy in my 15" and I can't complain.

I kinda wonder what the high-res difference is. Not that I would have bought it but I'm still wondering.

20. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If you spend 2000 bucks what difference does it make to just go AG + high end model.
    With the AG you can just work wherever you want whenever you want and be happy with it. If you do most of your work and other stuff on this Notebook this freedom is definitely worth it. Being confined to staying inside versus doing homework between some trees outside on a beautiful day is worth some money.
    Movies you cannot watch outside but for normal work the screen is bright enough. I can see on my AG with dark sun glasses still more than on the glossy of a friend, although no sun glasses is definitely the better choice.

21. shot2bits macrumors member

Having spent more time with my 2.2 15" Glossy, the reflections are very bad. However, I don't like the silver surround on the AG and, as Thirty says, the glossy has a better look.

But if you're in an office with lots of light, windows, or want to work outside the AG is the only way to go..

22. MKang25 macrumors regular

the new 2011 15" MBP AG screens use a different model than last years AG screen at least for some people the A005 screen which is very nice. I originally bought the hi res glossy and then traded it in for the AG screen and while I had both the AG screen was just as good as the glossy. Albeit the colors on the AG dont "jump" like the glossy it is just as clear sharp and more accurate and the brightness is just the same between the two models. I personally also think that the silver bezel looks better than the black, but thats probably because I was a big fan of the Older MBPs.

23. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I have the high-end 15" MBP with an anti-glare screen and I love the screen, very glad I got the anti-glare the screen is really beautiful and easy to read. Got it two days ago and have no regrets. Hope this can help.

24. oLNutjob macrumors member

oLNutjob

Go to the store.....

.... and play with all the screen options.

First hand, in the apple store with presumed crappy lighting, I was unable to calibrate (using "Display" utility) any of the anti-glare displays. Close, but no cigar. The glossies calibrated fine.

25. Oxonian3 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys I'm trying to look at a high end refurb anti-glare,if not i'll probably go for the base AG or high end glossy.it's down to glossy vs AG at this point,
    THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SPENDING TIME AND ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS :)