Serious MacBook Pro issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sneakz, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

My 17 inch Mid 2007 MacBook Pro wont boot up. It will Kernel Panic everything on boot. That includes the startup disk, 10.4.10 install disc, 10.5 upgrade disc and the 10.5.6 disc from the Mac Box Set. It wont boot anything, absolutely anything. I imaged the install discs using Disk Utility and mounted them on a 8GB USB flash drive to install from USB. It Kernel Panics that too. Reseting PRAM doesn't help at all. The RAM is good as I booted up Memtest and tested it out. I don't think its the hard drive as I swapped it with another one I have around and it Kernel Panicked too. What else can I do?

P.S. No AppleCare on this machine. Only thing its covered by is the NVidia Graphics Failure which may have hit this laptop as a few days before it started to act up, it was getting graphics distortion, then freezing.

Edit: Looks like got lucky and the 10.5 Leopard Upgrade disc decided it could boot up on like the 20th attempt without Kernel Panicking, so I'm doing a clean install of 10.5.0 and seeing how that's gonna go.

Edit 2: Looks like the install went well. Going to combo update to 10.5.6 see if it stays in working condition.

Edit 3: 10.5.6 update killed it again putting me back in this cycle of nothing being able to boot without KPing

2. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I am going to suggest that you try the easiest thing ... remove and reseat the memory. I have seen flaking laptops (and desktops) that were cured by this. It's easy to do, so it is worth a try. Beyond that, I think you are either looking at a large $$$ repair bill from Apple or a new laptop.

3. Sneakz thread starter macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I'll be sure to try that when I get home. I got a case ID from Apple over the phone so if I can't come up with any sort of fix, I'll just take it to the Apple Store and have the logic board replaced due the Graphics failure.