Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryukouki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Hi guys, so Tuesday evening I ran a software update on my 10.7.2 MBP, and I downloaded the latest software updates. It was one of those updates where it's like "Do not turn off your computer or touch the power button." Somehow, by some freak accident, my laptop froze midway through. I sat and waited....and waited...and waited some more. Two hours passed. Zero progress. I had no choice but to shut it down.

When I reboot it, my encryption password screen pops up, put in my password. The spinning thing pops up, and freezes. I wait... nothing happens. Pop in my external and boot Lion Recovery HD. Restore from backup, success! Green check marks and all. It says it would restart in Mac OS X. Hit ok, then ERROR: Boot sector invalid. Cannot boot. Shuts down, and then I turn it on. There is NO OS for my Macintosh, and no Recovery HD. Command R brings up Internet recovery, which cannot seem to connect to an access point. I used the option key and there was only my Windows drive that I set up for Boot Camp.

I'm going in for a Genius Bar appointment today. In worst case scenario, will they replace my Macbook Pro for me? I had it for less than 90 days. I still have nine months for the hardware failure warranty thing. I cannot leave without a working OS, as I have a term paper due Monday, and I'm FREAKING out! Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Newest update: Internet Recovery provides error -1007F. See apple.com/support. What's that?

Last edited:

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
In worst case scenario, will they replace my Macbook Pro for me? I had it for less than 90 days. I still have nine months for the hardware failure warranty thing.
Why would a replacement be the worst case? All Apple is obligated to do is fix it. Nothing more.

WickedOne513

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
They will take care of you most likely they will reinstall the OS from a disk that they have. Do you still have your back up or did you loose that also?

Ryukouki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
They will take care of you most likely they will reinstall the OS from a disk that they have. Do you still have your back up or did you loose that also?

I should still have my backups on the drive. It's right here next to me.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I'm going in for a Genius Bar appointment today. In worst case scenario, will they replace my Macbook Pro for me? I had it for less than 90 days. I still have nine months for the hardware failure warranty thing. I cannot leave without a working OS, as I have a term paper due Monday, and I'm FREAKING out! Thanks in advance!

Hi. Good luck with the genius bar appointment. If it's a software problem (sounds like it), they should be able to fix it right there. If anything hardware related broke, they will keep it there to fix it.

I understand that you need a machine to work on over the weekend. You should explain this to them, however I'm not sure whether they can offer you a replacement machine. Be friendly!

Worst case, buy a new one and give it back next week :D

Ryukouki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Hi. Good luck with the genius bar appointment. If it's a software problem (sounds like it), they should be able to fix it right there. If anything hardware related broke, they will keep it there to fix it.

I understand that you need a machine to work on over the weekend. You should explain this to them, however I'm not sure whether they can offer you a replacement machine. Be friendly!

Worst case, buy a new one and give it back next week :D
Thanks for the good wishes, and I hope it can be fixed. WHen I called Apple Care just now, they said they'll get a copy of Recovery HD working and then send me on my way. That's not good enough for me. Is it possible for me to leave with a fully working OS? I do not care how long it takes, I'm not leaving until I see a solid desktop. :p And I'm short on cash. I can't buy another one XD

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Thanks for the good wishes, and I hope it can be fixed. WHen I called Apple Care just now, they said they'll get a copy of Recovery HD working and then send me on my way. That's not good enough for me. Is it possible for me to leave with a fully working OS?

I don't know. Explain your situation in the store, and be friendly. Goes a long way.

Also, for the future, no updates when deadlines are coming up. Since I'm relying fully on my MBP for work, I actually make sure to have a backup laptop accessible before doing anything that might break my system. And of course external backups ;)

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
I don't know. Explain your situation in the store, and be friendly. Goes a long way.

Also, for the future, no updates when deadlines are coming up. Since I'm relying fully on my MBP for work, I actually make sure to have a backup laptop accessible before doing anything that might break my system. And of course external backups ;)

I cannot begin to express how true this is. On a full flight a few days ago, I managed to convince the gate agent to give me an aisle seat by being nice to her. (she told me she swapped me out with someone that was being a jerk to her and stuck him in the middle seat)

Ryukouki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I cannot begin to express how true this is. On a full flight a few days ago, I managed to convince the gate agent to give me an aisle seat by being nice to her. (she told me she swapped me out with someone that was being a jerk to her and stuck him in the middle seat)

I'm a natural when it comes to cheerful and friendly. Sometimes too much so. I smile and laugh at the worst times. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.