Serious MacBook video issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DaveOZ, Oct 27, 2008.

1. DaveOZ macrumors regular

I received my new MacBook on Friday last week and despite the crap screen I was really happy with it. Migrated my data and did some serious testing on it over the weekend and was pleasantly surprised at how well it performed.

BUT, when I got to work on Monday and plugged it into my Apple Cinema Display 24" using the DVI>Mini Display port I started having issues.

About and hour into my day the computer just froze. Totally locked up to the point where I had to hold down the power button to kill it. Never has this before on a Mac. I systematically tried to eliminate things like USB drives, VMWare Fusion but it kept on freezing. I thought it was VMWare Fusion 2.0 do I downgraded to the old version - still did it.

I started to suspect it was a memory conflict so I pulled out my after-market memory (4Gb) and put the Apple sticks back in.

Still locked up but this time the screen went nuts. (see attached photo)

Then I remembered what happened when it went to sleep and my ACD went fuzzy. I suspect the Displayport is duff or there is a memory sharing bug.

I am now running it in clamshell mode to the ACD and it has been fine for 2 hours so far.

Anyone else had this??

Attached Files:

2. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

3. ptsube macrumors 6502

I would ask for an exchange and see what happens with a different laptop.