Serious MBP Performance/HD Issue...I'm stumped

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by illest813, Nov 13, 2009.

1. illest813 macrumors member

Hey guys,

I just don't know what to do, every apple product I buy always seems to crap out on me at the worst times. I have law school exams in 3 weeks and run a business off my cpu, and then this happens....

I have a brand new MBP, purchased when the speed bump happened--had the HD with the click issue, firmware solved that. that was last problem I had.

Then yesterday in class I signed online and my ichat IM's weren't going through--not too bad. I then tried going back to word and it became very laggy and unresponsive. It's been like that the past two days--just moving my mouse to the dock takes 15 seconds for it to show up and its very choppy. I cant open any files (word document takes 2 minutes), cant drag programs/browsers because of the lag/choppiness.

I kept rebooting, clear the ram using the command option + P R. The cpu would work fine for 5 minutes and then just completely crap out. In beginning of class today while opening a document, the problem immediately hit me and reboots would not help. Then I get an error message:
    "Disk startup has no available disk memory to run (or something along those lines) please quit programs" all i had was finder and word open. I have 400 GB free and take care of my computer like everyone here.

I went to the genius bar, he ran a first aid disk utility repair from his genius bar drive and saw minor errors that it repaired. We rebooted and it worked fine (tried it for 30 seconds). I get home, open it up and it hits me again after 3-4 minutes.

Its completely unusable and I have no idea what it can be. I cant even back up my computer (although i have old ones) because its so laggy!

Sorry for the long thread. I can post more details but there is no sudden downloads/applications that seem to be malfunctioning or causing the problem. I don't know what to do, and I know when I go in i'm going to get the run around, and with exams so soon I can not deal with the typical customer support.

Edit: Left it on after bringing it home for about 30 minutes idle and just got the "Your Mac OS X startup disk has no more space available for application memory" yet again.
    Edit 2: Also forgot to mention the genius employee did I think a scan of the HD using "Smart Disk"(?) or something from apples website.

Thanks guys

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

hi,

download onyx(free app, google it) , run your weekly and monthly maintenance scripts , then click cleaning and select the kernal only and let that go through.

reboot and let me know how that goes.

also , how much free space does your hard drive have ?

3. copykris Suspended

copykris

that should answer that

4. illest813 thread starter macrumors member

Hey,

Thanks for the info. It seemed to help--although we'll see when the computer stays on for a little longer if it holds. What exactly did that do? I have another genius bar appt tomorrow, if it doesn't act up should i still go? I hope its not temporary haha.

EDIT: My trackpad still takes 4-5 taps to recognize a click though! haha

5. illest813 thread starter macrumors member

Obviously jinxed myself. Back to being unusable. It may be interesting to note that it started when I tried loading a professor's lecture. However it's happened without this the past 2 days.....

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

do you have any X5 products installed?

such as net barrier or virus barrier?

also, under system preferences , user , what is located in your login items tab ?

do you have time machine enabled?

7. illest813 thread starter macrumors member

No, I do not have any of those items.

Finding this in system preferences took me literally 10 minutes to get too, ughh

Under login I have: System events, microsoft AU Daemon, connect360helper, ituneshelper..I've had all of these here since I got it pretty much.

Also yes time machine is enabled, hasn't been a problem since I've had the computer though...I've managed to get a backup throughout this though.

Still getting your mac os x startup disk has no more space available for application memory..

8. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

im going to have to call this a bad harddrive,

it seems like bad harddrive symptoms.

under about this mac ---> more info ----> Serial-ATA

what does it say under SMART verification ?

9. illest813 thread starter macrumors member

Honestly, I can't even get there at this point. This is ridiculous, will apple replace this drive for me tomorrow at the store? Its the 500GB upgraded one. I am going to be so mad if it has to be ordered.

Also they better not give me a hassle, since I bought this online I know I am going to get it. Arghhhhhhh

Not to mention I am going to lose windows boot camp since I had the downloaded beta of 7. This is just horrible.

Edit: if its worth mentioning when onyx ran the smart test initially it said it was fine.

10. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

you should have no issue having it replaced there as long as hey have the drives in stock.

no matter where you purchased the laptop apple will service it at any store.

they should not hassle you once they see the laptop running.