Serious memory slot problem?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by efcjoe, May 20, 2008.

1. efcjoe macrumors newbie

Hi
    I think I may have my first real problem with my Alu iMac. I bought some memory and it arrived today. When I tried to open the slot at the bottom (with the single screw) I couldn't get the screw past a certain distance. It looks like it was cross-threaded when the computer was made (computer is 6 months old) and I definately haven't done anything to it.

Anyone had any experience with this? Can I get the screw out or will I need to send it off to Apple? I do have grounds for replacement, right? What's the process like with Apple replacements?

I'd appreciate any help. Cheers.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple will not replace a whole machine for a slightly stuck screw. They will almost certainly be able to remove it and send you on your way with your machine. Simply take it to an Apple Store...

3. efcjoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers mate I might have to. Only problem being that the nearest Apple store is at least 2.5 hours away. Anyone know any DIY tricks to remove bad screws?Obviously nothing too drastic, maybe this will warrant a long trip...

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well it went in so it should come out! Try grabbing it (if you can) with some pliers or mole grips and using them to gently apply more torque that you can with a screw driver.

5. hologram macrumors 6502

I saw a tool once (on TV:rolleyes:) for removing stuck screws. Before you make it worse, check with your local hardware store and see if they have any suggestions.

6. nigrunze macrumors regular

See this thread. I had this problem within a month of when I got the Aluminum iMac late August. I tried pretty hard to get the RAM cover off, but I couldn't get it off. We brought it to a Mac genius at the Apple store and they replaced it for a new one. A bit unfortunate that the whole computer needed to be replaced, but at least I now have a working computer with accessible RAM slots.

7. mothman macrumors newbie

Hello,

the trick to getting the screw out is using a BIGGER phillips head screw driver.It looks like a small screw but if you look closely it has an unusually large bit. The screw itself is secured to the other side of the cover with a C clip to keep it from falling out, thats why it feels sticky.
    Use the larger screwdriver and it will come out without any damage a smaller screwdriver will cause.

8. efcjoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. I fixed it late last night when I put a paperclip through the holes of the memory door (after unscrewing the screw as far as it would go), and gave it a pull. The door just came out, memory was installed fine and everything's working again now.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Congratulations. Nice to hear that you persevered and won in the end. :)