Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kleggett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2003
This is really odd....went to bed and g4 was ok. Woke up and it will not boot. The light on the box itself will come on when pressed. The monitor (flat panel) has power to it. But the box will not boot. No fan, no sound of the harddrive working. Nothing. You push the button and nothing happens. So i think that rules out the power supply considering the monitor has power correct. I did a search and couldn't find the same symptoms anywhere on the board. Any one help me with this? Thank you in advance!

kleggett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2003
Did they put a price on your invoice about how much that part was? I think i'm out of service for that.... :(

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by kleggett
Did they put a price on your invoice about how much that part was? I think i'm out of service for that.... :(
I's sorry, I have no idea! Maybe replace the PRAM battery (I think that's what it's called) first, it *could* be that, and you wouldn't be wasting a lot of money if it doesn't work.

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
or hold the PMU button for 10 seconds.

(it's on the motherboard near the RAM slots)

codycartoon

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2002
was there a power outage last night? Because i kind of had the same thing happen to me, I went to sleep and the powermac was sleeping then when i woke up the next day it wasent making any sounds or anything, when you pressed the power putton it would just light up a little more. I called apple care and they told me to unplug it then open it and press a small black button on the corner of the motherboard to the right of the purple and green battery...it is a tiny black circular button that mounts on a metal fram... It is the reset button for it. Maybe that will work...

good luck
-cody

kleggett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2003
cody, and morlium i do not think that there was a power outage last night..i'm not exactly sure though...i'm going to give that a shot when I get home tonight....it just sucks...grrrrrrrrr thank you guys (all of you) for your responses so far.. it means a ton to me!

Mblazened

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
The Valley
power supplies are cheaper than most parts, though. If you try all the above fixes and they don't work, you should just see if you can get a p.s. and install it yourself for cheaper

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
I had to reset the PMU of my Mac, and there was no power outage.

Sometimes it just happens, and I'm thinking that's your problem.

kleggett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2003
Originally posted by Mblazened
power supplies are cheaper than most parts, though. If you try all the above fixes and they don't work, you should just see if you can get a p.s. and install it yourself for cheaper
I was thinking that at first however, considering that the monitor is powered by the box wouldn't that rule out a PS? On a pc this would be an easy troubleshooting venture..but i'm a newb on macs and proud of it :)

kleggett

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2003
Originally posted by codycartoon
was there a power outage last night? Because i kind of had the same thing happen to me, I went to sleep and the powermac was sleeping then when i woke up the next day it wasent making any sounds or anything, when you pressed the power putton it would just light up a little more. I called apple care and they told me to unplug it then open it and press a small black button on the corner of the motherboard to the right of the purple and green battery...it is a tiny black circular button that mounts on a metal fram... It is the reset button for it. Maybe that will work...

good luck
-cody
This was exactly the problem. Mac is back up and working now. Thank you so much to everyone that assisted me with this...... :D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.