serious problem, deleted files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anp12, Sep 17, 2009.

1. anp12 macrumors newbie

Here's what has happened to me. I hope someone knows what I can do to recover my files

i recently upgraded to snow leopard.
    i was using the on screen keyboard, and then minimized it
    when I tried to use it again, everything froze with the spinning cursor for more than 10 min.
    I turned the power off
    on restart i accidentally chose the guest user instead of my own. It said 'logging in' for like 15 min, but nothing happened, and everything froze again.
    I turned off power + restarted again

when I logged in to my user, it was as if it was a new user. all preferences were gone. The 'documents' folder and 'downloads' folder were GONE. All files on my desktop were gone. I restarted, and now there is an EMPTY 'documents' folder. I'm not sure what else is missing, but someone please tell me the files and user information is still somewhere on this computer, and that I can access it.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you open a new Finder window how much space does it say is available at the bottom and how big is your hard drive? Although I have the sneaking suspicion that it is this.

3. creon macrumors 6502

MRoogle.

Same thread on this very same topic.

4. anp12 thread starter macrumors newbie

cont

i have a 250 GB drive, and it says 178 GB available. I read that link, but I'm afraid I don't understand. I didn't rename anything. Can you tell me in more detail what I should do?

I am beginning to understand. I now see a folder in the 'deleted users' section of users that has my user, and most of the folders. phew. can I undelete it?
    but still, the 'downloads' folder is missing with important stuff.

5. anp12 thread starter macrumors newbie

cont

wait, I was wrong. the deleted user folder I see was created in 2008.
    i didn't realize all those files were still on the computer, but they're not the ones that just went missing. it was from a time last year when I deleted the account that just happens to have the same name. crap. any more suggestions anyone???

now I realize itunes is messed up as well as iphoto (which does have some pictures in it, but not all)
    my pictures folder has a lot of stuff still in it, but the movies folder does not.

6. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I agree with iBookG4user

I would have to agree with iBookG4user that you deleted your home folder. However, I don't really know where it would have gone. If you just renamed it, wouldn't it just be in /Users/*Lost account* ? Is your home folder (user) still the same name as before? I would maybe start digging around in some hidden folders. Maybe (and this is just a thought) it's been deleted and sent to the user trash can. So you wouldn't easily be able to retrieve it because the trash folder has been deleted. I would guess it's in a hidden file somewhere.

7. anp12 thread starter macrumors newbie

cont

my login name was the same with the same password.
    i have no idea how restarting the computer on a freeze would cause all those files to be deleted/hidden.

how can I find hidden files?
    this is really making me wish I had used the time machine thing ...

8. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Hmmm.....

Okay well I don't think you deleted your account then. But again, I would recommend searching in hidden files. To enable hidden files, type the following command into terminal:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
    killall Finder
    and when you want to hide the hidden files:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
    killall Finder
    Good luck!