Serious problem; keyboard won't work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pevsfreedom, Sep 3, 2016.

1. pevsfreedom macrumors newbie

So I cleaned my keyboard today on my 2014 Macbook Pro. I turned it off and used a bit of rubbing alcohol to clean the keys. Lo and behold, the keyboard won't work after. I think what happened is that I initiated some weird kind of code... I went into the settings and the disability settings or something and for "Text to Speech" or something along those lines it recognized EVERY single key stroke, yet when I try to type them in it won't work. The track pad is also not working properly and I can't click and drag or anything. I've tried resetting PRAM, SMC, and even reformatting, and everything is the same. I'm confident the actual keyboard module is fine because that one application noticed every keystroke, but I can't for the life of me get the keyboard to input ANYTHING, I can't even login without an external keyboard. When it was off and I was cleaning it I rubbed a microfiber across ALL the keys and think I set off some crazy setting. Anyone have ANY ideas?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, you didn't initiate a code (especially since it was off, as you mentioned). More likely you got something wet that should not have gotten wet and it shorted out.

I see two options, one use an external keyboard (short term fix), second, take it into Apple for repair. Since its accidental damage, the warranty won't cover the expense, but at least you'll have a fully functioning laptop

3. pevsfreedom thread starter macrumors newbie

Why then will it input everything correctly into the text/speech app. in the system settings? Like if I go in there every single key is recognized, yet that's the only place. Something just seems off to me. I used isopropyl alcohol which I've used on keyboards/macs for 10+ years, and used quite a small amount. Even the clicker from the external keyboard acts odd (just the same as the track pad) and everything functions as a right click basically, despite the settings I choose. The laptop is past its warranty stage irregardless. I'm gonna try a hard reformat (clearing data) before I take it in.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't answer why one app works, but you posted that the keyboard and trackpad are not working at all.

Also as I mentioned, how could you make a system change (via a key combination) when the system was off?

I could be wrong, but in your post I saw this.
    1. Keyboard and trackpad worked
    2. The keyboard and trackpad were cleaned with alcohol
    3. Keyboard and trackpad stopped working

Using Ockham's Razor, it's most likely the alcohol that caused some damage, over some hidden or unknown key combination that occurred while the computer was off.

5. pevsfreedom thread starter macrumors newbie

You can reset the PRAM & SMC when the computer is off, figured perhaps there's some other button combos. I did hard reformat today and it's still a no go, so apparently the keyboard/trackpad are shot.

6. jerryk macrumors 68040

I would agree you got some liquid some place where it should not be.

In the future know that you can pop the keys off and clean them. All of them except the wider ones (return, space bar, tab) can just be pulled off and released with a toothpick. Clean the key and white piece underneath. And pushed back on. The wide keys have a little metal clip that needs to be disconnected and reconnected. There are videos on youtube going over this in detail. At no time do you get liquid in the machine.