Serious problem - simple and funny solution..

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Thrash911, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Consider this a cute and entertaining story.. ;)

Today, I became horrified, when my late 2012 iMac shut down ABRUPTLY. Black screen from one second to the next. At the time I was watching a TV show in fullscreen, so I figured it was one of those commercial breaks. I just stupidly sat there for 10-15 seconds, expecting the show to continue.. :rolleyes: That's one of the few problems with Mac - they are so silent, you can barely tell the difference between ON and OFF, if the screen is black.. :)

Anyway..

I then turned it on again, and it booted up just fine. I checked the Console logs - nothing. I then spent some time googling the problem. After that, I planned to to a hardware test (hold D during boot), then resetting PRAM and SMC. I started the hardware test, and then AGAIN it abruptly shut down. Now I was really worried.. But again it was able to turn on, and boot just fine. I googled some more, without finding anything else. I then decided to repeat the hardware test. This time it completed the test, and reported no errors. This would indicate a periodic problem. Greeat.. :(

When the dust settled (fan test loosened some dust.. :D), I then reset the PRAM (hold CMD, ALT, P and R during boot). That went fine. The last thing to do, was resetting SMC, which is done by cutting power to the mac for 15-20 secs. I didn't want to reach the back of my iMac, so instead I went under the table to pull out the power plug.

Then it happened..

I barely touched the plug, when it popped out of the extension lead socket!! So.. The plug had loosened itself more and more over time, and was now barely hanging on. I waited 20 seconds, and plugged it in.

"Problem" solved!

THE END. :D

2. macthefork macrumors 6502

Too bad all problems aren't this easy to solve. Sometimes the most simple solution is the one we choose do... Last... ;)

3. Devie macrumors 6502a

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Same in Sound Engineering.

It goes something like this:
    Why isn't there any sound in the FOH speakers? *feeling sick in the stomach*
    Soundboard's on, MacBook's on ...
    I'm still getting no sound. *starts digging through MIDI/Audio settings*
    Looks at the remote preamp switch ... it's off. Oh. Lol! *phew*

5. Devie macrumors 6502a

I suppose I should change that to
    "first rule of anything that requires power"

I get it a fair bit in my line of work also, actually had a service call which resulted in exactly that on Friday.