Serious problem with GarageBand 5!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jcgalvano, Feb 22, 2009.

1. jcgalvano macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

I've just installed the whole iLife 09 package on a MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz, 2 Gb RAM, 200 Gb disk (with 112 free Gb), and I have an issue I can't figure out how to fix it. Every time I try to change the "project settings", the program freezes and most of the times I have to shut it down using "alt+command+esc". It makes me feel like using a darn PC :mad::mad::mad:.

It's the same if I try to acceed to the settings by clicking on the "LCD display" or by pressing "ctrl+command+F". The program just freezes without even letting me see the project settings (Tempo, Key, etc.).

I'm SICK of this program's mistake!!! And I think that my computer settings shouldn't be a problem. A friend of mine had just the same trouble with a MacBook Pro just like mine. Meanwhile, I've been using GarageBand with a white MacBook with 1,83 Ghz and I've always used this feature without any problem!

Well folks, I'll appreciate any help on this topic.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Try repairing permissions. If that doesn't work, a reinstall of Garageband is in order. Sounds like something didn't install properly.

jW

3. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

The same issue was present in GB 08 (at least for me). I haven't encountered it yet on GB 09, although I haven't used it too much since I upgraded. I think I found another way to adjust the settings without it crashing. I will look at the program when I get home and see if I can help. I am disappointed that this persists into the next version. It is one of the reasons I upgraded.

Sometimes after a crash, my songs would not open properly again. I thought I had lost a ton of work. Luckily I found a solution on the apple forum. After that, I avoided viewing the project settings LCD screen like the plague. If you encounter the same issue (project will not open properly after crash), let me know and I will post the fix.

4. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

Hey,

I'm sorry, I forgot to look at this for you until now. If you open up your project and look at the top right corner (where a large pic of the current software instrument is), you will see two tabs: Software Instrument and Master Track. If you click Master Track and look near the bottom of that menu, you will see options to change the tempo, key, etc. And using this method has not crashed GB for me (yet). Give it a shot and let me know if it works for you. Again sorry for taking my sweet time getting back. Good luck!