SERIOUS problem with lion -- can't restart!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by eroxx, Aug 6, 2011.

1. eroxx macrumors 6502a

I am attaching the screen image. Bizarrely, every OTHER time I turn the computer on, it seems to work ... ?

Attached Files:

2. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Be really careful with this, I had a hard freeze, finder lockup in deleting 1,800 photos out of a folder on one my drives on my brand new Mac Pro and it toasted the drive.
    I went back to OSX 10.6.8 permanently as this is by far the nastiest OS version on launch I have seen in over 20 years...

I am skipping this OS entirely, will probably go for 10.8 when upgrading hardware in 3-5 years, this one is total BS for pro use....

3. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I highly doubt that Lion caused the failure of your hard drive. More likely the hard drive was fauty. I have now installed Lion on two Mac computers, a 2011 27" iMac and 2009 17" MacBook Pro and in both cases Lion as been very solid for a .0 release.

4. Quad5Ny, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

That's a Kernel Panic. Apparently your either missing a certain kext (or your on a hackintosh?).

This will rebuild the kext cache, dyld cache and preform a few different maintenance tasks.

If this does not work, your going to have to open up Console and provide us with better error messages or start in Verbose mode (hold Command-V before Apple logo) and take a picture of the screen. But IMO it would just be easier to backup and do a clean install.