Serious problem with Safari!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fishmoose, Jul 1, 2008.

1. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Hello!

I had Safari 4 dev preview installed then i removed it after installing 10.5.4 because i needed some plugins that wasn't working, the problem is that when i uninstalled it using the uninstaller in the dmg i got Safari 3.1.1 no problem i thought... But i was wrong.

I wanted the latest version of Safari 3.1.2 so i went to software update in os x didn't find it so then i went to Apple's Safari site and downloaded the latest safari image they had when i was going to install it on my MacBook i can't because the system says i don't have 10.5.2 which is required but i have 10.5.4!!

So i then uninstalled Safari 3.1.1 thinking that i then could install 3.1.2 but no now i can't install Safari :(

The funny thing is that i can install Safari 4 dev preview but when i uninstall it i don't get 3.1.1 instead i don't got any version of Safari.

So now my problem is i have Safari 4 dev preview installed but i don't have 3.1.1 :S So when i uninstall Safari 4 i don't have any version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. ckurowic macrumors regular

ckurowic

My solution? Don't install developer previews if your not a developer...

3. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

yeah i have learned my lesson the hard way :( Anyway i can fix this now without re-formating my mac?

4. MotleyPete macrumors regular

5. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

I tried that and now i actually have 1.1.2 installed but i can't start it, it says Safari might be missing important resources and that i should try to re-install it but obviosly i can't do that because when i run the installer it says i don't have 10.5.2 but i'm on 10.5.4

6. archiguy macrumors newbie

Uninstalling Safari 4 Dev Preview

I have had the same problem too. I downloaded the Installer for Safari 3 again and tried to install, but it wont let me.

I dont know how to reset the Mac OS so it doesn't think I have Safari4 Dev Preview anymore.

I have a MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz inbuilt with Mac OS X 10.5.5.

7. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

The developer preview disk image should have an uninstaller, or you can delete the relevant receipt file from /Library/Receipts/