Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takethislife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2011
A few days ago I installed OS X Tiger, and it booted fine a few times, aside from telling me I need to restart time after time. But it got to a point where it wouldn't load the HDD or a restore disc. So, I completely cleared the hard drive, and I can install and run OS 9.2.1 fine, but when I try to install Panther it either gives me a screen full of kernel errors or it tells me I need to restart mid-installation. What's wrong with my computer?
I'm using a Power Mac G4. Thanks in advance.
-Alex

Last edited:

takethislife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2011
What specific powermac g4 do you have? If you can specify these information, most people here will be willing to help you.

No problem. First generation Power Mac G4 (Yikes!) with 705 mB RAM, 80 gB HDD, 350 mHZ single core standard processor, and standard ATI Rage 128.

Also, when I try loading in the OS X 10.3 disc it gives me this:
screenshot20100623at856.png

Last edited:

bbh1031

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Does your restore disc have a hardware test built into it? If its a factory restore disc, it will say something on the front of the disc like "To use apple hardware test, hold down the Option key as the computer starts up"

It could be that a certain component is faulty inside the computer, and your computer is having an issue with it. I have been having a huge headache with 2 machine with similar problems.

Just a suggestion :) This is my first post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.