Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
I so want CDMA :p

:::Slap:::

But in all seriousness I guess it's very possible the 2nd revision or 3rd, depending on what revision Apple is debuting in 2009 when the Cingular deal ends, may very well be a CDMA model along with a GSM counterpart. Or perhaps a dual GSM/CDMA type.

OwlsAndApples

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
UK
I think the next iPhone should be completely wireless - it updates by connecting to either your wireless network or your included iDisk account on a network. The chin on the iMac should be made into a Splash Charger ( Here ), to which you can magnetically attach the iPhone a la remote to charge up.

Listening to music, hands-free connections? Hmmm...tooth implants ;) :rolleyes:

Now, get more farfetched than that. I dare you. :)

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Could the following mean that we are a really really long way, like years, away from ever seeing a 2nd revision iPhone? and when one is released what might a 2nd rev. include? oh and by the way, My apologies for the pounding headaches I may have just given to those that may be thinking, "how can you possibly be serious about asking questions about a 2nd revision iPhone when the 1st one hasn't even shipped yet".

So revisions (generations) to a portable product such as the iPod have materialized over the years naturally as technologies got better, potential demand for smaller, slimmer, bigger hard drives, video playback, etc etc. Each revision in an iPod has seen a significant change and improvement over the previous revision. And within each revision a line of models within that revision ie, a 20g versions a 40g version and a 60g version.

However, is the iPhone much different? I think it may be very different.

Sure we could see other models within this generation of iPhone ie, an iPhone jr. less drive space maybe, or an iPhone Pro model, slightly larger, more pro applications maybe, and a larger hard drive or something to that effect. So what goes into a 2nd revision?

Keep in mind there are certain capabilities this device will probably never see because it's really not the direction Apple would probably want to go with a device. So no garage door opening capabilities etc.

Well it seems like when looking at the iPhones hardware, there are certain marketable limits it is very close to as is. For instance, the screen can't get much larger. 1 or more inches larger and it would just be too cumbersome and oddly for most people to want to carry around as a phone. It can't get much slimmer as it's already less than a half inch thick. Ok maybe it could get slightly slimmer but is that enough to justify a 2nd rev? what's the promo going to look like for that one, iPhone just went from .46" thick to .30".

Core animation on it and video playback and the speed at which it loads things seems very fluid on it as it is now. So a speedier processor for what? It's not like their marketing the iPhone's proccessor speed anyhow so an upgrade in that direction doesn't seem likely soon. the new iPhone 2.0ghz? nah.

What about software? It seems like the biggest improvements could come from software installed on the iPhone. Apps that run on the iPhone and the iPhone OS. That is very possible however, even if you did have to pay to upgrade to iPhone OS Lite 2.0 how much could it possibly cost? 50bucks aroundish?

So what significant changes/improvements a 2nd revision iPhone?

P.S. 1st person to say CDMA gets a slap in the face :D

Whoa...slow down. Can you honestly believe this? Do you realize how quickly the technology industry progresses? Its called engineering. People believe that something is the best until something better comes out, then thats the best. Things will always be improving.

Who knows whats in store for a Rev 2 iPhone? I dont, but saying that it wont/cant change much more in the future is just ignorant. :rolleyes: 15 years ago computers were the size of a room and could hardly had the computing power of a desktop calculator...cellphones didnt even exist and look at where they are now?? Neither you or I can even imagine what things will be like in the next 15 years....2 years ago everyone was celebrating DVD's holding 4 GB....I just read an article about a 10 layer HD-DVD disk that holdes over 250GB on a single disk...see what Im getting at?

The technology revolution is just starting and I cant wait for whats coming up next. How about a fold up clamshell type OLED screen as thin as a piece of paper with virtual buttons and screen to do your calling?

kumbaya

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
Two Words

Voice Recognition

pushing buttons to dial ... pah!

multi-touch? so 2nd millenium...

:apple: :D

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
Voice Recognition

pushing buttons to dial ... pah!

multi-touch? so 2nd millenium...

:apple: :D

What are you talking about???? are you off your rocker????
it's all about those thought recognition dialers,
c'mon, who wants to even talk to dial their phone,
i mean talking to the person you're calling is hard enough...
get with the times:p

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
go back to drawing board and get me candy bar shaped SE-ish phone .. get rid of this metal skirt and dull back .. make the battery removeable and pop in a SD card slot .. get rid of the square icons and bring in the normal ones ... make it look less like an LG ke850 and show some genuine contribution to the design ... you have one 4 and two 9's in the price tage .. i want to see one 3, one 4 and one 9 ... in this particular ORDER! .. flash memory is getting cheaper by the day .. put some more in .. not bothered about 3g or whatever ...
and for god sakes make it iPhone and iPod 6g dont ruin both by this diabolical thing you showed at macworld 2007 called iphone.

/end of pointless chatter.

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
P.S. 1st person to say CDMA gets a slap in the face :D

Slap me. CDMA is a far better cellular technology as GSM has been proven to not be able to handle the data rates CDMA is capable of. That being said, I'm a very happy t-mobile customer :D

Kirbdog

macrumors regular
I think you are looking for confirmation that after you buy a first generation iPhone it will soon be replaced by a better second generation iPhone.

The answer to that is yes eventually a new better one will come out and you will be left with an old obsolete one. ;)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Obviously there are quite some things on which Apple could improve.

3G, Wimax, 2nd cam have already been mentioned. Apple can also increase the flash memory, etc.
Even the processor would make a lot of sense if it uses less power and therefore the battery life increases. An LED screen is another possibility. There are so many ways Apple can improve the iPhone I wouldn't be too worried. There will most definitely be a Rev. B if the first one is successful.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
My predictions for Rev B:
3G
A small 1.3 megapixel camera added on the front
Video chatting (with the high bandwidth of 3G and the small camera on the front...) with iChat and other iPhone users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.