Serious screen issues with 13" rMBP:

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jread, Jun 29, 2013.

1. jread macrumors regular

I ordered a 13" rMBP from macmall.com which was delivered today. It has the i7 (2.9) and 8GB of RAM. I am assuming this is a 2012 model due to the processor speed, as well as the lower price.

When I started it up, there was some screen flicker on the right side, but it went away by the time I was finished setting it up and got to the desktop.

I started installing updates and then rebooted. At the login screen, the screen was again flickering. When I got to the desktop, and entire section of the right side of the screen was blank:

[​IMG]

A little while later, the colors went crazy and the entire screen started flickering all over:

[​IMG]

The screen eventually went back to normal, but the dead section on the right side is still dead. It comes back for a second here and there, then goes blank again.

What in the actual hell is going on here? Has anyone seen this before? Pretty frustrating to have the screen crapping out right out of the box :mad:

2. LoMonkey macrumors regular

Eh, that sucks. Stuff happens. Try calling Apple about a replacement. You may have to go through MacMall, since you bought it through a reseller. I'm not exactly sure how that works. It's a defect and you'll get a replacement/repair for free.

3. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Just out of curiosity, did you open and start the rMBP immediately, i.e. was the rMBP still hot? Weird stuff can happen when an overheated from sitting in a hot truck computer is tuned on. Often things are normal when it's turned off, cooled, and restated later.

4. jread thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, actually it was quite hot. It was 106-degrees here today (FedEx delivered it at 5pm), and the aluminum case was pretty damn hot when I took it out of the box. Going to shut it down and leave it off for a few hours and see if that helps.

5. jread thread starter macrumors regular

Just tried to boot it up after shutting it down for two hours, and it is completely hosed now. I get nothing but static at what should be the login screen... can't even see the mouse cursor.

I guess that now I have to go through the hassle of getting this fixed or replaced. Do you guys know if I should return it to macmall.com or if I should bring it to my local Apple store to be repaired under warranty?

6. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

before return to macmall, please try these steps

1. re-install OS (clean install) the latest version 10.8.4
    2. if you have a tools (screw tools), please open your macbook, maybe cable is not tight)

if it still doesnt work, please go to the local apple store.

7. LoMonkey macrumors regular

Reinstalling the OS is a good idea, although probably futile. I wouldn't suggest opening the MBP to check for loose cables unless you really know what you're doing. That could cause more harm then good. Just take it to a Genius and let them take care of it. You're under warranty, don't ruin it by trying to do it yourself.

8. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

That's too bad. It's clearly defective and you have good photos documenting it. I'd get it replaced from MacMall. A brand new computer should not need to be repaired, it should work perfectly out of the box.

Not that the heat necessarily had anything to do with it but for future reference if the box is that hot I'd wait until it cooled off first before starting it next time. Good luck.