Serious Security Concern

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kes601, May 21, 2010.

1. kes601 macrumors regular

I handed my 64gb wifi iPad down to somebody at work when my 3G came in. I did an erase all content and settings on it before doing so.

He downloaded the ESPN app and when he opened it up it was still logged on with my ESPN account info.

Now, question is....what other info fails to get erased when doing an erase all content and settings on it.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

There are probably a lot of little residual things like that. The proper way to hand over any iDevice is to do a complete restore.

3. Chris.Thomson macrumors member

It's also possible that ESPN stores device identifiers (UDIDs) on their servers and associates account info with those devices automatically.

4. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Did you log in to the ESPN account with your new iPad yet? Maybe that removes it from the old one?

5. Battlestar macrumors 6502

This is true as a complete reload of the Firmware will wipe everything out.

6. LinMac macrumors 65816

I'm fairly certain that the erase all content and settings wipes it completely. You're dealing with a client application using UUID or something similar instantly log you into their service.

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

Erase All Content & Settings does exactly that. The problem here is with how the ESPN app stores your settings on its server.

8. kes601 thread starter macrumors regular

I had and this is how I figured out what had happened because he set up his favorite teams. First I thought mt ESPN account had been hacked, then we figured out what happened.

And, if I were passing or selling an iDevice to someone I didnt know then I certainly would do a restore, although from the sounds of it, it wouldn't have made a difference in this case.