Serious service issues. Is this a apple or a AT&T issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mellofello, Sep 24, 2014.

1. mellofello macrumors 65816

Been a bitter sweet few days with my 6+. Love the phone but I have had some concerning issues with my wireless coverage ever since I got it, and have spent many hours on the phone with tech support trying to figure out what is going on.

Before I get into what's going on let me preface with the fact that I live in a area with pristine lte coverage. My note 3 would never dip below 4-5 bars of lte, and the art tower is around 700 feet from my house.

I have 2 main issues the first is so bad I may need to return my phone. I am not receiving 10-20% of my text and mms messages. I can go on my gf's phone and compare texts sent. I did not receive many of them. She is on android and on AT&T. I had a huge issue at work today when I was waiting for hours to hear back from our engineer. I called and he had texted me 4 times on his sprint android phone.

The second issue is that I sometimes get dropped from lte, and then when it logs in I get no route. The phone shows bars but no data is able to be transmitted. The only way to fix this is going in and out of airplane mode over and over until I finally am able to use data.

AT&T has been polite but useless. I drove down and swapped out the SIM card, and I still get weird lte issues. I unfortunately have no idea how many texts I am missing. Since it is sporadic they eventually just hung up on me.

Could this be a issue with the phone itself? I never had any issues with my note 3. The only thing that has changed is the phone, SIM card, and I went to a volte unlimited plan.

Is it worth making a genius appointment?

I absolutely need to get my texts for work, and today could have potentially cost a lot of money had I not decided to call.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Shan S., Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

Shan S. macrumors member

Serious service issues. Is this a apple or a AT&T issue?

Exchange the phone for another 6+. I have one and had absolutely no problems... If you already swapped the SIM card the next step is to exchange the phone for another one.

Make an appointment with the Genius Bar. They are really great with these type of issues. I have had issues with other Apple hardware and they will always help you and give you a replacement pretty quickly. Especially since it was just purchased...

Just give them all the issue details and what you have all ready tried...

They will give you a replacement...

3. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

There are several threads about LTE and Wi-Fi droping. I'm experiencing them both. There was a carrier update downloaded to the phone and I've had problems since then. I'm using a 5S by the way. I have a 6 due to be delivered and if it has the same issues I will return it and wait until Apple fixes their software. Good luck.

4. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

Has anyone ever experienced missed text messages before? In my 16 years of cellphone ownership I don't think I have ever missed 1. Could it be Imessage?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Could be iMessage but if you're missing your girlfriend's texts and she is on an Android then it is not being received as an iMessage.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If you're having issues with poor connectivity, text messages may not come through. I don't believe texts have any kind of receipt verification function.

7. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

I've had issues with iMessage. I received a txt on Sunday that my mom sent on Saturday. I'm not sure if it is ios8 on my end or iMessage in general.

Also LTE on Att is abysmal.

8. MMakoto macrumors member

missed calls, or never rang calls, and missed text messages happens to me all the time on t-mobile. i'm in the nyc area, so coverage in general shouldn't be a problem. t-mobile has suggested that i restart my phone once every few days to get a fresh new signal, i'm on android btw. i haven't had the missed texts lately, but the phones on my family plan (iphone 6, 5 and my S5) has problems receiving calls, the call would just go straight to voicemail, happens quite often lately. btw, i have noticed that the iphone 6 my dad is using has poorer signal in my house, my S5 has 3-4 bars of lte, and the 6 has only 1-2, even his old iphone 5 was getting 3-4 bars, another antenna gate problem??

9. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah this is killing me. It's one thing to miss a call, but people feel really off put if you don't respond to a text. This is especially true in a professional environment.

10. shaunmed macrumors regular

swap for new phone, wont be for a while till new one tho :(