Serious slow lagging issues everywhere w/ alum macbook 2.4

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by harryhood, Apr 15, 2009.

1. harryhood macrumors regular

My girlfriend got a brand new 2.4 aluminum unibody macbook (2gb of ram 250g hd) for xmas and she used migration assistant (transfered everything from an old ibook G4) and just followed the instructions through that.

Well her computer is laggy as ****. I am talking everything on her computer is affected. Click on any folder and it literally will take 5-10 seconds for it to process and show its contents. The internet browsers are slow, all apps are slow - it just runs very sluggish. Why? She uses her computer for the most basic functions; internet, word processing, email etc. It has 2gb of ram and 170gb of her HD is free. It really makes no sense.

I've heard to never use migration assistant, that its better to just have everything fresh and new - so I'm thinking it might be that.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem? If anyone has any tips or things I could check or anything, its appreciated.

Also wondering if I'm going to have to back up her stuff and just wipe her computer and do a fresh install.

Thanks.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Did you look around in the Activity Monitor, make sure no processes are hanging and sucking up CPU cycles?

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

She'll likely want to go in and disable any PPC login items, and make sure that nothing like Norton or an old printer driver isn't slowing things down.

Usually when it is this bad we blame Nortons, an old All-in-One printer driver, or Spotlight got stuck while indexing the drive.

Also going to Font Book.app and verifying all the fonts and disabling any bad ones may also alleviate similar problems.

4. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think so, but not really sure on how to check that.. Wouldn't restarting simply stop anything from running?

How do I check this stuff, or turn them off?

thanks for the help guys

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It probably has to do with something from the migration. You might want to do an Archive/Install w/out preserving settings and folders to see if the problem exists. Before you do that, another good option is see if it's laggy in a new user account, if it is, you know it's something from the migration and would need to do a reinstall to fix the error.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Open Font Book.app

Select all fonts

Select Verify Fonts

Highlight the Bad Fonts

Select Disable Font(s)

NOTE: If you click on the arrow next to the Fonts it'll open up and show all the fonts within, and this will allow you to select the 1 or 2+ fonts inside the family that may be problematic.
    ---

When you migrate an old user from a PPC machine, some fonts will cause massive issues including but not limited to beachballing in apps.

---

System Preferences > Accounts > User > Login Items -- see what is there

System Preferences > Spotlight -- uncheck webpages, applications, fonts, and other stuff that you don't need to search for words within

8. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

thanks dude, you rock.

i ended up just doing an erase and install, but I'm going to check all that stuff out on my machine at home, good to know for future reference. Thanks!