Serious: Trying to download Apple Security Update, but "fingerprint" does not match!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

This is really scaring me. I am trying to download a security update from the apple site. To make sure it is authentic I'm using these instructions.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202369

At the bottom of the support page it says make sure the fingerprint ID matches, but for some reason the download does not!

What to do?!?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Why not download it from software update? You know, like everybody else gets their security updates?

If software update is not reporting any needed updates, then you already have all security updates.

3. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

The fingerprint given on the page you linked to is the fingerprint of Apple's signing certificate, not the actual update.

4. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok so they don't have to match? Because I am most definitely linking to the security update from the apple site.

Google search Apple -> click on Apple link -> click on support etc etc

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If one downloads Apple updates through the suggested and approved manners, (Always download Apple software updates using Software Update, the Mac App Store application, or from Apple Support Downloads) I wouldn't think it necessary to do what the OP is trying to do.

6. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

The link in the OP explains how to verify Apple's updates; it doesn't contain any update downloads. It shows the following SHA-1 fingerprint.
    This is the SHA-1 fingerprint of Apple's signing certificate used to sign their updates. It should match the SHA-1 fingerprint of the Apple signing cert your machine is using to verify the update file.

The SHA-1 fingerprint of the actual update (the .dmg file) downloaded from http://support.apple.com/downloads/ will be different, as it is a different file.

7. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok this clears it up. thanks a lot man.