Serious WiFi Issues!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by malexandria, Dec 7, 2011.

1. malexandria Suspended

Ok, before I go balistic, I'm going to try and remain calm. My late 2011 Macbook Pro is having a lot of issues including the SD Card Slot no longer working. I was determined not to purchase another Apple product, but then my Work computer caught a virus yesterday, so that scared me off of going back to Windows. So yesterday I went out and purchased an iMac.

So far I really love it and have been playing with it this morning. It keeps dropping my WiFi connection. It's not my house network because all my other devices - iPad, Macbook Pro, etc, work perfectly fine.

Does anyone know what could be going on? If this continues, I swear, I'm never purchasing another Apple product. TWO very expensive machines breaking within a few months, in the case of my iMac - not working from the start???

Where is this so called great Apple Hardware, that I'm paying a premium price for?

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

If you have a Late 2011 Macbook Pro, they will repair the SD slot for you free of charge.

If you have a new iMac, you can call AppleCare and they will help you diagnose and fix your Wifi issues free of charge.

But stupid questions first:

• Have you updated the iMac's software all the way?
      Have you reset your wireless router? Updated its firmware?

3. crimton macrumors member

I see threads like this all the time. "all my other devices on my network connect fine". I had the same problem with my mbp. I bought a new medialink wireless n router from amazon and problem was fixed instantly. Before the new router I could Not even load a web page, this went on for weeks. Now no problems for 2 months.
    It makes no sense but a $50 router fixed my problem...

4. wpotere Guest

There are known issues with WiFi and Lion. Hopefully Apple will resolve them soon.

5. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

i too have suffered the same way, I've had my new i7 iMac for 2 days, and the wifi is awful. connects for 30 secs, then drops for 30 secs,on and off, on and off. i will get round to sorting it out but I'm too full of new mac joy to care at the mo. i just ran a 6 meter cat 5 cable to my router and hid it behind a bookshelf.

6. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Have you changed the channel on your wifi router? (192.168.1.254). Go into its settings and change... Anything but 10, 11...

7. malexandria thread starter Suspended

Honestly, I don't know how to reset my router since the set up was convoluted and complicated to begin with. Secondly, I SHOULDN'T HAVE to reconfigure my entire networking setup for one machine! If I do that, then I'll have to reset all my other devices which I'm NOT willing to do.

----------

No, I'm not changing my router for ONE machine when all 12 oe 13 of my other WiFi enabled devices work perfectly fine.

----------

I'm sorry but this is just unacceptable to me, I paid $1,800 for a machine that won't properly connect to my network??? I had suffered through this garbage with the first iPad.

8. malexandria thread starter Suspended

Updating FW Seems Work

Updating the Firmware seemed to be working so far, fingers crossed...

9. srxtr macrumors 6502a

Time Capsule (or AirPort).

Apple products work great with other Apple products (usually).