Seriously annoyed with Apple.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by seeforyourself, Jun 5, 2019.

1. seeforyourself macrumors 6502

So I have a defective issue with my iwatch series 4 with the display not being uniform in Terms of brightness when it’s at the dimmest setting and at night. I bring it to Apple, genius guy says it’s an issue with the pic I showed him and he sends it off. I get it back 5 days later and they said it’s normal for the watch to be uneven in brightness (left side is very much brighter than the right side). They said I need to pay my Apple care accidental damage screen fee ($70) if I want to get it replaced. Really? Another employee said it’s not normal for my display to be like it, yet another employee and the repair facility say another.

I paid $400 for this watch and even more with the Apple care and tax.

They are a trillion dollar company and they are too cheap to fix an issue with my display and pull it off as “normal”. I pay top dollar to have this “feature”.

Now my MacBook Pro that I spent over 4 thousand for had multiple keyboard issues (replaced keyboard 4 times to be exact) which still experienced sticky keys and non responsive keys.

Apple didn’t bother to completely change the keyboard which I assume is because it’s too expensive, but instead does minor changes to try to fix it - which doesn’t.

Now the $1000 stand for a $5000 display which doesn’t include it with the display (how is this true, idk).

Not to mention my $1200 iPhone X which didn’t come with a fast charger which many other cheaper alternative phones DO.

Why is Apple so greedy? I never noticed this type of greed when Steve Jobs was in charge. What’s happening with Apple?! I really love the IOS and OSX and Apple Watch operating system, but unfortunately it’s terrible that they nick left and dime you, yet they are worth so much!

I know you guys are going to say “just leave”, but I’m already stuck with this lemon laptop and apple watch which Apple doesn’t even want to touch! The resale value of the MacBook Pro is terrible (which I assume is to be because of the issues)

Are any of you guys feeling the same way I am, or am I just being ridiculous?

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I wouldn't say "ridiculous"
    Maybe just a couple of ticks under ridiculous... more on the "silly" range

Note: invoking Steve's name is a definite boost to the silly side of things
    That and complaining about the price of a product you didn't buy (stand)

3. Krieger macrumors newbie

As with all scams, you live and learn. Apple overcharges and underdelivers on hardware, and their customer service is obviously a bit of a joke at this point. They're also quite anti-consumer about their repair policies.

So, I for one am all done buying Apple products at this point. No more iPods, no more Macs. Not new, anyway. Something used at a low enough price might tempt me, though I also have pretty much no need for anything modern from Apple these days. I still use classic Mac hardware for games and an old Intel Mini to talk to my aging iPod Touch, which is my only camera at present, but that's about it. My modern hardware is AMD-based and my OS is Linux, with Windows VMs via VirtualBox for work and playing other older games.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

OP, please can you post a picture of the watch so we can see what you mean?

5. seeforyourself, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

seeforyourself thread starter macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    The one above is a better pic since the app runs darker
    [​IMG]
    For some reason this one uploaded sideways. Tilt your head left when viewing the second pic Lol

This pic above is a light gray background all uniform in the pic, but the watch displays it not uniform.

This is in a dim lit room when the watch auto dims.

Half my display is lighter while the other is side is darker. My boyfriend has the same exact watch and doesn’t experience this issue which Apple said there’s no problem with it and it’s normal.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2019 ---

6. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I agree with you on the Watch. It's defective. I would go back to the store and try again. I would threaten and, if necessary, file a claim against Apple in small claims court (depending on what state you're in) for the value of a Watch replacement. They'd change their tune faster than you could you say "hourly billable rate."

The rest of your rant is just that.

7. seeforyourself thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I know annoying rant, but I have no where else to vent. Between my unreliable MacBook Pro and my defective watch that Apple doesn’t give a dam about, I’m annoyed lol

8. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

The keyboard thing is legit too. I don't have a MacBook, but I can sympathize. You're not alone in having problems.

I would definitely try again. Maybe show two Watches side by side with the same image. Sometimes just getting a different person will help. Maybe get a manager to argue your position. And I would definitely resort to small claims if I had to.

(I've only ever filed one lawsuit: a small claims case against Sallie Mae 20 years ago. They kept messing up my existing student loan because I was taking graduate classes. They'd put my loan into deferment, stop my automatic payments, and take away my 1.25% interest rate discount. Every freaking quarter. After 2 years of battling with them, everything was permanently fixed within a week after I filed suit, and they game me a small loan credit for my trouble.)

9. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

DIG HIM UP!, DIG HIM UP!, DIG HIM UP!

10. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502a

That’s definitely not normal and is a defect. They absolutely should repair or replace that watch.

I also understand your keyboard issue. I had a broken key on my barely 5 month old Retina MBA. I took it in and got it repaired at Genius Bar. Shortly after I picked it up, it would no longer turn on or respond. I called Apple support and asked them to escalate my issue. I told them I wanted them to replace the computer at this point, as I was not taking it back in 48 hours later for another week service. They sent me a brand new MBA, which I sold (for $400 under MSRP, I’ll add). You’re correct, their new computers don’t seem to hold value quite as well.

I love my Apple Watch, iPhone, and iPad, but I’m done with Macs until they make it reliable again.

11. matrix07, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Apple gear were always expensive (I could afford them only in the last 10 years). I don’t know why you have such a rose tinted glasses for Steve era but please stop bring Steve to conversation like this. If you don’t like Apple just state so. Leaves Steve alone.
    I understand you’re frustrating with your expensive gears but you think grass on other side is greener? You think the alternative are perfect? If you think so of course you can try. It’s your money. I read your issue but nothing convinced me you’re in the absolute right. Watch screen issue looks dubious. MBP keyboard is a known issue that Apple will fix for you, so yeah.. I’m still not convinced you’re not too harsh on Apple. A trillion dollars company or not it has no relevance to your cases. Maybe the root of the problems is from a thinking like that?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2019 ---
    Strange that you’re still here, in Watch forum no less.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Then escalate your situation to customer relations. If you’re not happy with the store services from Apple, then explain your situation, have documentation/pictures and if anything, they might be able to issue a replacement device, but you certainly won’t receive a new Series 4 in most cases.

13. Jessemtz25 macrumors regular

Jessemtz25

I dislike when people throw around how much they spent on their devices as if we of all people don't know the price of these things. Besides that I feel you should get your watch fixed or replaced at no cost to you. The rest of your post feels like it got off track of the original issue and a bit silly, one thing at a time OP.

14. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Agreed, that's definitely not normal. I understand your frustration, just keep trying until you find someone who cares about your issue. Often it is to do with the way the Genius enter their notes, if they are not cleared with the problem then the repair team wouldn't know what to look for other that the screen is working "fine". It is best if they could attached the photos you have taken.

Tips: Since you have AppleCare+, depending on your region, there should be an option called "Express Replacement Service" so you get a replacement watch first and then send your faulty one back. Ring them and find out :)

All the best!

15. TotalMacMove macrumors regular

TotalMacMove

16. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

Oh...no, no, no...I know EXACTLY what went wrong here. You called it an, “iwatch.”

17. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

well known issue in apple watch - there is even a thread here from the day the watch was released.

i think they use the same keyboard, so it wont ever be fixed but more or less it is a bandaid fix. the next issue you would probably see is the flexgate issue with your mbp screen.

i think the cardboard-steve standing in the office would do the job.

18. seeforyourself, Jun 17, 2019 at 8:25 AM
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019 at 8:35 AM

seeforyourself thread starter macrumors 6502

So guys I wanted to update you guys on what happened-

I called Apple senior advisor who had to get into contact with the engineer team which said that this is normal behavior since oled light up individual pixels as oppose to a whole, thus making the watch light up unevenly. She said that this is normal even though at dim settings that this is expected. I told her again that my boyfriend doesn’t have this issue and she didn’t know what to tell me. She even said that this is an issue from production, and she couldn’t find the supplier, thus saying all the watches have this issue and won’t fix it. So if they known about this issue and acknowledge it, shouldn’t they do something about it?

She told me that to have the display replaced I have to pay $300 because it’s not an issue to be covered under AppleCare+ that I purchased. I am in shock that they even said that to me. So I guess if I smash my watch it will be cheaper to be make it $69 repair? Though I don’t want it to void my warranty since it’s self implicated.

Absolutely horrendous customer service!

19. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

Almost EVERY watch 4 has this issue. Some have more luck than others. the dimmest setting is how much % of your daily use scenario? Right. The first click of rotating the crown to light up the display is not the dimmest setting. It does have to start somewhere. So get over it. This is not meant to be rude but there is a huge thread about unevenness not far away from this one. Enjoy your watch.

20. seeforyourself thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand your point. Well it is around 35% (I like to run at night). I just want a replacement screen because its really bad in dark settings such as a room with lights off or outside at night. I just think its unacceptable for the quality of the display to be like this at the price point I paid. For the apple care advisor to be like "yes, this isnt right" to "actually its normal" is BS to me considering my bf doesn't have the issue with the same brightness settings.

21. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

Than it would be best to show both watches to the Apple store employee and ask which one is OK. Most certainly he will not point at yours so get this one replaced because it obviously is not OK. Again - enjoy your watch either way it’s more than just a display.

22. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

My advice. Go to an Apple Store, ideally a different one if you have another close by but, if not, the same one.

The staff should all have Apple Watches on.

Pick a standard face beforehand that you know will show the issue, even in the brightly lit Store.

Ask them to set theirs exactly the same and do a side by side comparison.

When yours shows up as obviously different to theirs, tell them firmly at that point that it’s not normal, it’s defective and you want it repaired or replaced.

You could always take your boyfriend in too and have his Watch set the same to show as a third but if I were you, I’d only have him show it if you really need to and certainly after the Apple employee has already compared theirs and seen a difference.

You could even go to another brightly lit Store / area before you visit the Apple Store with your boyfriend to prepare in advance to ensure you pick exactly the right standard face and shade to illustrate the problem perfectly.

23. seeforyourself thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately the issue is only in the dark. The watch gets brighter in well lit places, thus not showing the issue.