seriously, another new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dryheat, Apr 2, 2009.

1. dryheat macrumors newbie

I have a novice question here. I see their is a new iPhone due for release in June/July, I plan on getting this "new" iPhone and it will be my first. Here is the question: How do you folks keep getting new ones if your contract are not up for renewal? Do you seriously keep buying the new one each time it comes out and paying full price, or is there something in the world of iPhone I am naive about? Honestly, I'm curious.
    Thanks.

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A259g Safari/525.20)

I plan on buying mine without any subsidies as I'm still under contract on the 3G. Its the same with any subsidized phone, though, isn't it?

3. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Owners of the 1st gen iPhone could upgrade to the iPhone 3G for the same upgrade price as everyone else (with AT&T anyway and they made you sign a new 2 year contract). I'd suspect AT&T to do a similar thing with the 3rd iPhone, but we'll have to wait and see.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Do you think you will be able to buy the new iPhone with out a contract

5. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

A lot of people sell their iPhones on places like eBay, then use that money towards their new phone... It will either pay all or most of it, depending on how much you get for it... and if you do pay it will be the same amount or less than the price for the phone with a contract

6. ViPa macrumors 6502a

i plan on getting a new one no matter what..ill find a way :D

7. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

8. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Blasphemy!

9. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I stuck with the 1st Gen~
    3G speeds didn't really appeal to me to bump my phone. Plus the load time on my 1st Gen allowed me to kill more time at work. :D

EDIT: My update will be in November too. So, I don't really care waiting. People just have to have the NEWEST thing. Kinda annoying... People are.

10. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I believe you get a small credit for not waiting the full two years, but still subsidized for re-upping for another two. I did not pay full price for the 3G after having the 1st Gen for just a year.

....at least I don't recall paying full price, but who knows. I'll buy a new one every year anyways.

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

No, I'll probably have to pay some sort of ETF and then get the new phone on a new contract. Whatever it takes (as long as it costs less than $1000!) I'm game.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I'll be getting the new one too. I sold my original 16GB from last July a few months ago and got an 8GB in December. Because it's so new, I will have to pay more and AT&T says I am eligible for the upgrade, just not at the same discount that someone who has had a phone for a year will get.

It says that I will have to start a new contract. Can't wait for the new one!

13. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

The first iPhone wasn't subsidized, that's why you were able to upgrade to the 3G with the upgrade price (199 and 299).

14. saeybia macrumors newbie

who says there will be a new iphone? would be great if there was, but is there any evidence to show a new one will be coming?

15. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yes, parts of the code in the 3.0 beta label an as-yet unknown iPhone, as well as a new iPod touch.

16. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I believe that, in the US at least, ATT recently started selling the iPhone 3G for unsubsidized prices without a contract. Could also happen with the new iPhone.

17. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I would say that it is safe to expect a new iPhone every summer.

18. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Absolutely! It's all rumour/gossip! The only certain change announced so far is the new operating system - scheduled for "The Summer".