Seriously considered NEXT, but sticking to 2 year contract.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mitch Rapp, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Mitch Rapp macrumors member

Att's 30 GB plan for $130/month sounded attractive. After crunching the numbers though, that plan would cost $1440 more over a 2 year period compared to staying on our two year contract.

Current plan: $140 after taxes for two phones, one with unlimited data the other 3GB, BUT NO TEXTING (texting would cost an additional $60/month).

Under the NEXT plan we'd pay $1700 for our iphone 6 and iphone 6 plus then another $3600 for the 30 GB plan over a toe year period...total $5300 over a two year period.

Current plan, we paid $100 for iphone 6 (after trade in) and $300 for the plus. $140 plus the upgrade fees of $80 equals $3580. Grand total over two years $3980. If we add texting we'd end up paying $5420 over the same period.

So basically, with NEXT we are still paying the same thing we have now plus the same $60 if we added texting. There's really no savings. We can't justify $60/month for texting. The next plan would essentially be what we have plus texting.

Am I missing something here? The 30GB for $130 is an awesome deal. But the numbers don't show much of a savings for us. I'd hate to lose out on this just because my math is off!

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

The mobile share plans are really designed for 4 plus lines. The cost savings increase with more lines.

To be honest if u have 1-2 lines. U are better off with prepaid ATT's AIO wireless/Cricket wireless.

$90 for 2 lines or $45 for one line. Unlimited talk/text plus 3G LTE each line. Zero over charges. All taxess included.

Pay for your own phone. No gimmicks. Same coverage. That's what I would do.

Do the math. It's much cheaper over 2 years with prepaid for 2 lines.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The next plans dont work out great for everyone.
    Especially some of us on older plans with unlimited data and a good fan discount and also getting full subsidies for every phone every 2 years without monthly payments works out better.

4. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

It looks like you included the trade in value on the 2 year plan but not on NEXT.

The best part of NEXT is the ability to get a new phone each year. I do 12 month so I can Craigslist my phone each year rather than trade in. Much better deal. For me it equals $800 for two phones.

5. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

That's my plan. Got the 6 plus with next 18. When the new one comes out in a year, I'll pay off the balance on it which is 425 and then I'll have AT&T unlock it and sell it on Craigslist for like 650. I'll do next again with the new iPhone and pocket a little extra cash :).

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's a good plan but a year old used iphone will lose more than $100 from its original brand new full retail value.
    A 5S now averages about $400. That's $250 less of its original full retail value.

7. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I have the 64gb plus so I think getting 600-650 should not be an issue. I still make the next payments but it will be for the new iPhone and I get about an extra $200 to put in my pocket :)

8. MareLuce macrumors 6502

Could someone please post the month by month pluses and minuses over 2 years + all key assumptions??

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Worth a shot. Also depends on condition of the phone and make sure you have the original box and all accessories. No scratches, dents, scrapes etc..
    And of course how much similar devices sell at that time and how much the market is saturated or not at the time of the sale.

10. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I put a screen protector and a case on my phones right out of the box so they are are in mint shape when I sell them and I always keep the box and original accessories except for the headphones(for hygreinic reasons). Did that with the 3G, 4, 4s, 5 and recently with the 5s and plan on doing that with the 6 plus!. Its true it depends on the market at the time but based on previous iPhones trends, I think the $600 range would be a solid guess. Its too early for that lol so in the meantime, I will enjoy my 6 plus!.

----------

You mean how much the monthly next payments are for the 12 and 18 next?

11. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Unlimited TXT Us included in all the mobile share plans.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im the same way with my phone.
    I actually leave all accessories intact and unused in the box for later resale purposes:D
    I got $350 for my 16GB iphone 5 last week. Not too bad for a 2 year old device. It Paid for my iphone 6 plus.

13. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Good deal :). That's how you do it!. Enjoy your 6 plus. I'm loving mine!.

----------

Basically with the next 18(my plan) you are allowed to trade your phone in after 18 months and then you would be able to upgrade to a new phone or you could make 6 extra payments after the first 12 payments(to meet the 18 months requirement) if you wanted to trade your phone in and upgrade in a year through AT&T. The nice thing is you are able to pay off the phone anytime after 2 payments.

A 6 plus 64gb comes out to $35.42 a month on the next 18 plan so in a year, $425 would have been paid, leaving a balance of $425. Instead of doing it AT&Ts way, it's easier just to pay off the balance($425) and then you would fully own the 6 plus 64gb. You can ask AT&T to unlock it and then sell it on Craigslist or eBay or whatever. Even locked, you will be able to sell it to cover the $425 you owe and have a little extra. Then you would start a new next plan for the new iPhone.

14. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

If you add a new line to your family plan will it be 9.99 a month? double check

If so you might be better off adding 3 extra lines then buying iPhones on those lines, paying 100 for an unlock, and reselling them on eBay or craigslist.

----------

I do this. I also stagger my upgrades so each year I have either 2 or 3 upgrades available.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's a good idea.
    I might leave one of my updates for next year cause all 4 lines seem to be around the same time within 2-3 months of eachother.

16. aneftp macrumors 68040

resell values vary so much (both with local market resells and with ebay).

In my market iphone 5S 16GB resells are around $350. iPhone 5S 32GB resells are around $400 on craigslist.

OP needs to understand a 64GB iphone 6 plus (MSRP $850/upgrade price $399) will probably net closer to $500-550 in one year. $650 is very wishful thinking unless they plan on selling it way in advance of iphone 6S plus model coming.

And lower base iphone 6 16GB will retain more value (per MSRP/upgrade price) vs. next step up 64GB. It's always been the case.

You spend $100 extra, you resell value will probably be $50 more than base model. It's been proven time and time again. The top end GB iphones have always netted the least amount (per price spent).

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Right on the money comparison there.
    The higher storage are harder to sell and you don't get the full $100 or $200 extra from the base 16GB price difference.
    But iphones tend to hold their value well compared to other cellphones out there so we're still in pretty good resale standing even years of use after.

18. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I agree different markets have different prices but iPhones hold their value well. As long as my it covers the $425 I would owe in a year to get the new iPhone, I'm happy :).

19. Mitch Rapp thread starter macrumors member

Quick update. The rep at the ATT store told me that my only option to change plans was to go to the NEXT program. That didn't make financial sense to me since I would pay full price for the phones. I spoke to ATT customer service rep (800 number) and he told me the opposite. I can switch to any plan with EITHER NEXT or the 2 year contract.

Just an FYI...

20. Nate Spencer macrumors newbie

So you pay more than full price for the phone aka. the monthly subsidy? You can make down payment on next plan. Frankly I just buy a slightly used model and bring it. You pay $25 /line of value plan vs $40 on 2 yr.

21. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

What is "3G LTE"?

Net of my FAN discount and subsidy, my one line is about $55 all-in for 650 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited 4G LTE.

22. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Geez, how long have you had that plan? Grandfathered to the max.

23. aneftp macrumors 68040

4g lte. Didn't mean to type 3G lte.

Anyways you got old plan. Assuming you don't need the voice minutes. You are better off keeping your old plan.

The subsidy is with around $18-19 a month. So your true cost is around $36 a month for your old plan.

24. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Why $60 for texting? We're on the 2-year contract plan and it's only $20/month for unlimited texting on our Family Share plan. It's still an outrageously overpriced service at $20/mo, but still.

25. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

True it's $10 for the monthly service of an additional line. But don't forget that AT&T (as well as all major providers) require a data plan for any smartphone. That's another $30. So the true cost of adding a line is $40/mo plus the cost of the phone.