Seriously Drained Battery w/ Mail Hack

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by brn2ski00, Apr 2, 2008.

1. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

All,

Just a quick heads up, but when I recently performed a hack to check for mail every minute, my battery life went from 3 days to less than a day! So unless you are charging your iPhone every night and not talking on it at all, then I don't recommend simulating "push" email on the iPhone just yet.

The hack can be done by editing the mobilemail.plist file and changing the AutoFetchInterval.

---------

Side Note: I did find this pretty cool Mail.app signature hack. Its actually really neat when done correctly: http://dfbills.com/display/240

2. jeffmc macrumors 6502

haha well yeah, what did you think was going to happen?

3. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Not sure to be honest. I was really hoping that it wouldn't be so poor, but I was proven otherwise. IMO, this feature needs to be implemented.

4. stevin macrumors regular

Honestly... I think that horrible battery life isn't the biggest issue...

Every time you check email it takes something like 10-15 seconds... so basically everybody that calls you gets a 45 second window.. or gets sent to vmail. I don't know how apple plans to implement push, but I doubt they'll be able to make edge blow any less....

On a side note... this obviously wouldn't be the case if you are using wifi.. and i guess it also makes an argument that the release of push style mail fetching may coincide with a 3g iphone