Seriously frustrating issue with Safari, can it be resolved?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone7ate9, Feb 16, 2015.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

I absolutely HATE HATE HATE mobile sites.

Every time I browse Safari with my iPhone 6, practically every site has a mobile site and my phone's Safari reverts to viewing the mobile site. Even if I request desktop site or scroll down and hit the desktop/full site link, the next time I visit it it's back to mobile version.

Not only that but lots of websites have prompts for me to download their app and it never remembers that I pressed X. Any solutions?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, not really, though you could try a different browser to see if the results are better.

3. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are there any browsers that stay in desktop mode?

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I think Dolphin does but it's a bit clunky.

I moved away from Safari due to open tab re loads and now prefer Google Chrome.

5. Americasteam macrumors regular

I usually just manually type in the web addresses that do that. CBS Sports is the worst. You have to make sure to delete the highlighted part that populates after you're done typing or it just pulls from web history.

Mercury gives you the option to load desktop sites.

6. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

This is another of those mounting issues with iOS that go ignored!!!! ***** annoying.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Any mobile browser will always default to choosing a mobile variant of the site.

It's not an iOS issue, it's the way mobile browsers are designed to save bandwidth usage.

You really need to get some sense knocked into you, it's not an iOS issue. Period. It's the way mobile browsers are designed.

Looking through your post history, 99% of it never makes sense, and a lot of useless threads you created always end up in the Wasteland area. At this stage, you should start questioning yourself and your posts.

8. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

Any criticism made about an apple product gets pushed to the side. that's why iOS 8 is at where it's at right now. The general public even knows it.

They said they were going to prevent popups and automatically launching into the App Store. But have they done that yet? No. They haven't.

And don't try to act like that's not an issue, it happens even on this website.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I had the same issue when I was using Android. That said, I like most of the mobile site that I frequent.

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It isn't an issue, because it isn't even an issue in a first place. Sites viewed on mobile phones are supposed to be in mobile format by default to save bandwidth.

The feature to block App Store popups is to stop automatic redirects without action (i.e., just viewing a web page). If you tap something, that's an action. You likely missed the close button, which can sometimes be easy to do.

So they have implemented it, but it's the user's fault for not doing things right (i.e. accidentally clicking on an ad/link which redirects to the app store).

If you like to complain about Apple so much, quit using Apple and shift to Android. We'll all be happy to see you jump ship and quit ranting.

This is a place to help people out, not post rants or to complain.

----------

Tell that to that nouveau-apple character who always seems to post a lot of nonsensical BS :)

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

By default yes it should go to mobile but if you then specifically requested the desktop version why should it switch on its own?

As for automatic App Store redirects, they said it was addressed, but it's not. Yes this applies to automatic redirects without user interaction.

Let's at least get the information right.

12. Let My heart go macrumors newbie

Solution to mobile version of site

There is an easy solution to the problem.
    However as I saw from the replies no one knew it.
    Lets take the icab mobile browser and look at options.
    There we can find Browser ID.
    Next we change browser ID from default to Safary MAC.

After we done it the every site we will encounter will think that we came from the Mac;)

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Seems you will do anything to blame Apple, even when the facts show there is no blame. Yes, "annoying"

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

When the desktop version is requested, it will activate the desktop site on a case by case basis.

The default is mobile, but if you want desktop sites, just click on 'request desktop site' in Safari. Easy.

App Store redirects are already addressed in which no user input is done (i.e. no more automatic redirects). If there is user input, such as clicking on an ad that causes a redirect, that is entirely the user's mistake.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

and if I chose the desktop version why would or should it then revert to mobile when Safari decides to simply reload/refresh the site? What's easy about things changing on their own?

How are they addressed when it still happens to different people (without any interaction, as before) as various threads and personal experience indicate? Choosing to ignore that to say that it's fixed and it's user's own fault undermines much validity in anything that is said.