Seriously, how many battery's do you guys carry?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acfusion29, Jan 7, 2009.

?

How many batteries do you guys carry?

1. The one built in, that's it

158 vote(s)
    84.5%
  2. 1 extra

19 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. 2 extra

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. 3 extra

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  5. 4 or more

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I own a 2.0 Alu. MB and I would love to have that 8hr battery. But putting that aside, to the Pro users that use their laptops in the field, how many battery's do you guys carry?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

theres been many threads on this topic since yesterday

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

4. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Hahaha. I found this quite comical. All of the "OMFGZ WE CAN'T TAKE OUT TEH BATTEREIZ!!1" and "Oh that's fine, I enjoy carrying around 60 pounds of extra notebook batteries!" seems to be all fadder?

/sarcasm

5. brentsg macrumors 68030

It's really a shame they couldn't have engineered a way for the battery to be replaceable, but only if you had the glossy screen.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Many of those who carry extra batteries shoot tethered with DLSR cameras. I think 8 hours is way more than enough.

7. DYER macrumors 6502

I carry 1 battery to uni but when I am out on a shoot (ye i have a job as well^^) I carry 2 extra batteries.
    Theres a good reason though. Ive got a car full of "crap" as it is anyway so 2 batteries don't bother me not to mention the fact that every so often these things turn out to be the best investment ever (bring on the power cuts :D )

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You are naive if you think you'll get 8 hours out of it doing any kind of work. Especially if the work hits the drive frequently.

9. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

Batteries are h*ll expensive. I would've brought one along if I can afford one.

10. Playfoot macrumors newbie

Two Batteries sometimes three

I do a great deal of work in Asia. Between the planes, even business seats, often not having an adapter and then going straight to site, I need extra power.

This is one of the reasons why I like the old batteries with the power indicator in the battery: very easy to discern the batteries that still had "juice". While I like my old 17" (previously had three 15"), I think I will migrate back to the 15" for the extra power.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'd be a little sceptical about Apple's reports of their "8 hour battery", I suspect it'll run for 8 hours if only, the user ain't utilising the CPU and GPU fully.. I'd give it 4 hours tops (for creative professionals). Currently I have 2 additional batteries on my MBP 15 and sometimes that's still not enough!!

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Well when I get my new 17" MBP, none, Ha ha ha funny Apple.

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The battery that they just sent me, and that's it. No problems so far with new battery...

14. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

One extra...and unfortunately, it's HEAVY.

But it's helped in some situations (long trips, when I forget my AC adapter, etc.).

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I carry an extra battery for each for the 3 laptops I carry around, plus chargers. I also carry an extra battery for my cell phone. :p

16. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I have 3 total batteries for my MBP. One is good for 2-3 hours, rest are great.

I carry an extra only on trips, not daily.

17. amoda macrumors 6502a

I think that one of the main problems of the built in battery is the "what happens if it dies/fails?" issue.

They state that if you take it to an Apple store you're guaranteed a 24h turn around.

First of all, 24h without my laptop due to a battery sucks. 2nd, not all of us live next to an Apple store. To get to the closest one for me I'd have to hop onto a plane for a 1hr plane ride. What happens then? Have to wait for a battery to ship to the authorized apple repair centre, then take it in?

I don't know, I just like the ability to pop the battery out and place a new one in for whatever reason.

Edit: Oh and I had 1 extra battery for the original MBP design, 0 for unibody.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

1 extra at all times, +1 more for long trips.

19. finalcut macrumors 6502

I only need one for my needs. The one in the MBP, no backup

20. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Well IMO the 17" isn't really supposed to be very portable. I think Apple wants it to be one of those desktop replacements. With the battery there just when you need it.

21. hippo206 macrumors 6502

I voted 4 or more even though I only use the one that came with the machine.