Seriously, just pick one for me

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mac'nCheese, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm done. I can't take the back and forth anymore. Someone just pick a new hd camera out for me. Here's what I want/need/don't want:

Save to SD Cards
    HD, of course.
    Good low light.
    Good optical zoom.
    Image stabilizer
    Editing on my mac (for now, I will downconvert HD video to SD so I can burn family members DVDs of my kids. Will keep SD card to have HD video for future)
    I'd like a viewfinder for sunny days that make those popout screens so hard to see

Dont want cheepo flip-typo cameras.

Dont want prosumer ($1300 is around my limit but under a grand would be much better)

Uses of my sd camera include: kid playing t-ball, kid at gym class. I use my new cybershot for quickie videos (its waterproof) but want a better one for longer, more important shoots.

To give you a better example. My canon zr (something like that) was perfect for me. It is a sd camera, with minidv tapes and served me well. But its time has come.

Find me a good, imac-compatable camera and any other tips and there's a 25 buck pay-pal fee waiting for you. (can i offer that on macrumors or does that break the rules?)
    Thank you.

2. Matty-p macrumors regular

Get the canon t2i awesome camera has every thing you ask for especially good at low light interchangeable lenses ect get that with kit lens for about 750 spend about 100 on a good hot shoe mic like rode spend the rest on glass and maybe spend
    Some money on 8gb or 16gb class 6 sd cards

plus an added bonus of stunning stills without having to buy anything else (you wont have to carry around this and a stills camera) literally this is a big bonus ever want to get in to photography then you wont need to buy anything

3. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

Yep T2i pretty much fits your description.

You could also use the money that's left over add on to that and buy additional lenses.

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I would go against the T2i (550d) due to the fact that you will have no autofocus and it's not good for point and shoot filming!

I would go with something like Panasonic's new 700 range. Within your price range (I think, I'm from the UK you see!)

Can record up to 1080p60 and has great low light and great auto features for when you just want the video to work!

I believe there is a flash model and a cheaper model which will record to SD cards only.

Here is the UK link:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...corders/HDC-SD700/Overview/3422617/index.html

5. Policar macrumors 6502a

Don't get a dSLR!

While the Canon dSLRs are groundbreaking for their "cinematic" look and low-light performance, they are NOT camcorder replacements. Quick focusing is extremely difficult as there's no autofocus or zoomed-in window while recording--and sports are near-impossible to shoot because you need a huge, expensive telephoto lens to get in close enough (most 10X zoom cameras are about 200-300mm equivalent, fwiw) and then you can't really move the camera; the sensor skew prohibits camera movement, particularly at telephoto, unless you want horrible headache-induing skew. Unless you like feeling nauseated, you can't shoot handheld with it--especially not at long focal lengths, which exacerbate skew.

I can't tell you what to get, but I can tell you what NOT to get: any dSLR.

6. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

If you have to believe camcorderinfo.com you should get the Panasonic HDC-TM300. From all the camcorders (around that price range) it has the best low light quality. It also has a lot of options to adjust (like exposure, gain, aperture etc). I think it is a great camera.

Just take a look at their review.
    They also think it's better than canon equivalent camcorder.

7. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I'll echo the anti-DSLR stance in this thread. DSLRs are great for controlled circumstances. But they make terrible point and shoot video cameras. And from the original post, it sounds like wants an actual video camera.

8. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Thank you all for your help. I will give this thread more time tomorrow at work when I have nothing to do. I took a quicky look at the 300 which was just updated as the 700 model which costs less then the 300 model. THIS IS WHY I AM GOING CRAZY!:D