Seriously, Mr. Jobs?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ipadq, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Ipadq macrumors member

You had this for an anecdote demonstrating the 'magical' quality of the iPad...

and you went with this?

Tsk Tsk Mr. Jobs!

On second thought, the device did make a girl interested in someone who is dorky enough to send such an email. So I guess this is indeed a better anecdote of its 'magical' qualities.

EDIT:
    This is just a lighthearted post. I am in no way criticizing Mr. Jobs. I am making this edit because several people seem to think this was a tirade/complaint. And many thanks to rdowns who helped with the emoticon to depict tongue-in-cheek: :p

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah. Can't believe they chose the pointless story they did over the one you quoted. Serious judgement issues are clearly not getting the message across in Apple's keynotes.

3. gillybean macrumors 6502a

4. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

He was going for a laugh. People find anything and everything to complain about.

5. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

6. Ipadq thread starter macrumors member

I know, and so was I. This was intended to be a light-hearted thread. Hard to depict tongue-in-cheek in these posts.

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I was talking to a pilot at lunch on Sunday at some search & rescue training... he was playing with my iPad.

I said something and he said to me, "You have a kid here?"

Laughing i said, "yes, in the kitchen... by the food (he'd just gotten a plate of it)... you know, with the iPad"

Him, "Ohhhh, yes, her. I tend to notice the iPad over a kid!"

NOt thinking this is doing much for MY social life at this point! :D

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Um, that's what :p is for. :rolleyes:

9. KevKaos macrumors 6502

+1. I agree, and it was funny, when compared to the quoted story. The point is, everyone is different and what is important to one person might not be important to the next.

10. Ipadq thread starter macrumors member

Thanks rdowns! I'm new to the world of emoticons. Will use that going forward!

Perhaps I should edit the original post and add the emoticons so that people don't trip up over a lighthearted post.

11. spiralynth macrumors regular

You know when you see those emotional commercials, like a family bonding at McDonald's, or a soldier coming home to a brand new Ford truck in his driveway as the ultimate gift for the war hero, or a Budweiser commercial playing on the Flag of the USA ... pulls at your heart strings, don't it? You're thinking "aw shucks ... what an honorable company ... I should go buy their products ..."

Those are the scummiest forms of advertising on earth. Bottom of the barrel stuff. I respect Apple for not playing that cheap card.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Perhaps he really does not want to risk giving young people the idea that the iPad is associated with old people who can't use a proper computer so it's been make simple for them to understand.

Possibly not the image he's wants to push too much.

Young people could get pretty anti if they even whiff something about a device for the elderly as opposed to a really young and trendy audience.

Perhaps that's the reason.

13. KevKaos macrumors 6502

You mean like that commercial with the CEO of BP speaking about the cleanup efforts on the massive oil spill? They keep showing the beautiful beaches and such in the background. That just reminds me of how it used to look and how it WON'T look once that slick hits the beaches full force. He would have been better off speaking from in front of a curtain. What a smug scumbag. Sorry, I was on a rant, but your post just reminded me of that terrible commercial that keeps showing over, and over.

Piggie, I think you have an excellent point there.

14. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

No, because I known that Budweiser is no longer American-owned :p

15. Ipadq thread starter macrumors member

Interesting perspective. What was your reaction when you saw the following Facetime commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1wbQdVezio

16. XciteMe macrumors 6502

I'm not gonna lie, the moment when the soldier sees the ultrasound and you can see it hitting him and he sighs, that was great acting.

17. spiralynth macrumors regular

I wept, then immediately pre-ordered an iPhone 4. Shortly thereafter I remembered that I'm on 3GS contract lockdown for another year, after which I promptly cancelled my order.

Seriously though, that ad is mostly based on a cheap and ancient seller's ploy. Plain and simple. The only caveat would be that the theme of the ad ties into the actual function of the product (unlike unhealthy food/healthy relationships, hero/truck or beer/flag). The fact they're simply illustrating how this new function can improve one's life through human connections - albeit a touch campily - might salvage it. But it's definitely right on the edge in my book.

18. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Haha, no worries. For every one of you who makes a lighthearted post there's ten others trying to gripe about every little nuance that is Apple. They don't seem to understand that blind hatred of all Apple is no better than blind love. Ce la vie.

19. iserian macrumors 6502

Magical as a term to describe our PADS was Lame back on 4/3 -- check Today 6/9 -- still lame.

20. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

lol oh my thanks for sharing that I needed a chuckle.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Personally, I found the example Steve showed much more appealing to me as a user. ;)

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yeah, Jobs did the right thing. He has an audience to sell to. Geeks getting some tail trumps granny shopping for Depends on Amazon any day.